1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compliance of air

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. Can the compliance of spring be specified/compared to a particular volume of air. If so then what would the volume of air with the same compliance as a spring of compliance 1mm/N on its support.

2. Considering a cylinder(filled with air under standard conditions) with a piston(radius = r) at one end, can the volume of the cylinder be calculated if the volume reduces by (v') when a weight (w) is placed on the piston. What would the equation be.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi BSatish, welcome to PF. Only condensed matter can exhibit a certain compliance. Gases exhibit a certain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressibility" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Thanks Mapes, your answer resolves question 1 and gives me a platform to work on question 2.
    Using the compressibility equation I think Q.2 can be worked out. How much pressure would weight (w) apply on the air in the cylinder.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you show your calculations, you'll likely get useful comments.

6. Sep 15, 2010 #5
    As you can see in the attachment I need to find h considering a cylinder and standard conditions

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook