Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compliance of air

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. Can the compliance of spring be specified/compared to a particular volume of air. If so then what would the volume of air with the same compliance as a spring of compliance 1mm/N on its support.

2. Considering a cylinder(filled with air under standard conditions) with a piston(radius = r) at one end, can the volume of the cylinder be calculated if the volume reduces by (v') when a weight (w) is placed on the piston. What would the equation be.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi BSatish, welcome to PF. Only condensed matter can exhibit a certain compliance. Gases exhibit a certain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressibility" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Thanks Mapes, your answer resolves question 1 and gives me a platform to work on question 2.
    Using the compressibility equation I think Q.2 can be worked out. How much pressure would weight (w) apply on the air in the cylinder.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you show your calculations, you'll likely get useful comments.

6. Sep 15, 2010 #5
    As you can see in the attachment I need to find h considering a cylinder and standard conditions

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook