Calculating Air Compliance & Cylinder Volumes with Weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of compliance between a spring and a volume of air, as well as the calculation of the volume of air in a cylinder under standard conditions with a weight placed on the piston. The conversation also mentions the use of the compressibility equation in solving the second question.
BSatish
1. Can the compliance of spring be specified/compared to a particular volume of air. If so then what would the volume of air with the same compliance as a spring of compliance 1mm/N on its support.

2. Considering a cylinder(filled with air under standard conditions) with a piston(radius = r) at one end, can the volume of the cylinder be calculated if the volume reduces by (v') when a weight (w) is placed on the piston. What would the equation be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BSatish, welcome to PF. Only condensed matter can exhibit a certain compliance. Gases exhibit a certain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressibility" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mapes, your answer resolves question 1 and gives me a platform to work on question 2.
Using the compressibility equation I think Q.2 can be worked out. How much pressure would weight (w) apply on the air in the cylinder.

If you show your calculations, you'll likely get useful comments.

As you can see in the attachment I need to find h considering a cylinder and standard conditions

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    201.9 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

1. How do you calculate air compliance?

To calculate air compliance, you need to know the volume of the air cylinder (V), the pressure inside the cylinder (P), and the weight of the gas (W). The formula for air compliance is C = V/(P*W).

2. What units should I use when calculating air compliance?

When calculating air compliance, it is important to use consistent units. The volume should be in cubic meters (m3), pressure in Pascals (Pa), and weight in kilograms (kg).

3. How do I determine the volume of an air cylinder?

The volume of an air cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area (A) of the cylinder by its length (L). The formula for volume is V = A * L. The cross-sectional area can be calculated by measuring the diameter (d) of the cylinder and using the formula A = π * (d/2)^2.

4. Can I calculate air compliance for any type of gas?

Yes, air compliance can be calculated for any gas as long as you know the weight of the gas. The weight of the gas can be determined by using its molar mass and the ideal gas law equation (PV = nRT).

5. Why is it important to calculate air compliance?

Calculating air compliance is important in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and scuba diving, where the volume and pressure of gas are crucial for safety and performance. It also helps in determining the amount of gas needed for specific tasks and in designing efficient systems that require compressed air.