Composing functions that are conformal

• Thread starter d2j2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the composition g(f(z)) of two conformal analytic functions is also conformal. One approach is to show that the derivative of g(f(z)) is non-zero, using the fact that both f and g are analytic and their derivatives are non-zero. Another approach is to use the definition of conformal, showing that angles are preserved under the composition. The conversation also clarifies that f being conformal does not necessarily imply that angles between points are preserved, as it only refers to the angles between intersecting curves. It is also noted that f(z) is in the domain of g, but g(f(z)) is not the same as g(z).
d2j2003

Homework Statement

let f and g be conformal analytic functions with the range of f a subset of the domain of g. Show that the composition g(f(z)) is also conformal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that if the function is conformal it is 1-1, analytic, and its derivative is non zero. So I'm thinking that I would need to show that since f'(z)≠0 and g'(z)≠0 then (g(f(z))'≠0 and then show that since f and g are analytic, g(f(z)) is also analytic. Then the composition will be both analytic and its derivative will not be zero so it will be conformal. Am I working in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's one way to do it. The other way is to just go straight with the definition and show that g(f(z)) preserves angles

Is it possible to show, in general, that g(f(z)) preserves angles? I thought we would have to have actual functions defined for that..

How would I prove the derivative part of this? I know that (g(f(z)))'=g'(f(z))*f'(z) and obviously f' is not zero but I'm not sure how to show with certainty that g'(f(z)) is not zero...

d2j2003 said:
How would I prove the derivative part of this? I know that (g(f(z)))'=g'(f(z))*f'(z) and obviously f' is not zero but I'm not sure how to show with certainty that g'(f(z)) is not zero...

You are given that "the range of f a subset of the domain of g".

d2j2003 said:
Is it possible to show, in general, that g(f(z)) preserves angles? I thought we would have to have actual functions defined for that..

Let P, Q, and R be three points such that angle PQR has measure [itex]\theta[/itex]. Then, since f is conformal, P'=f(P), Q'=f(Q), and R'= f(R) are three points such that angle P'Q'R' has measure [itex]\theta[/itex]. And, since g is conformal, P''= g(P'), Q''= g(Q'), and R''= g(R') are three points such that ...

HallsofIvy said:
Let P, Q, and R be three points such that angle PQR has measure [itex]\theta[/itex]. Then, since f is conformal, P'=f(P), Q'=f(Q), and R'= f(R) are three points such that angle P'Q'R' has measure [itex]\theta[/itex]. And, since g is conformal, P''= g(P'), Q''= g(Q'), and R''= g(R') are three points such that ...

Such that the angle P''Q''R'' is θ meaning that the composition is angle preserving. right?

Dick said:
You are given that "the range of f a subset of the domain of g".

can we say that since the range f(z) is in the domain of g then g(f(z)) is basically g(z)? and then it is non zero from there?

HallsofIvy said:

f being conformal doesn't imply that. The 'angle preserving' in conformal refers to the angles between intersecting curves. Not to angles between points. That only works if f maps lines to lines.

d2j2003 said:
can we say that since the range f(z) is in the domain of g then g(f(z)) is basically g(z)? and then it is non zero from there?

g' is nonzero on its domain. f(z) is in that domain. I wouldn't say 'g(f(z)) is basically g(z)', that's not very true.

well when we say g(z), that z includes f(z) since the range of f is a subset of the domain of g... ie. g(z) takes values from its domain, which includes f(z).. right?

d2j2003 said:
well when we say g(z), that z includes f(z) since the range of f is a subset of the domain of g... ie. g(z) takes values from its domain, which includes f(z).. right?

Right. Just say f(z) is in the domain of g. Don't say g(f(z)) is the same as g(z).

ok, got it. Thanks for your help

1. What is the definition of a conformal function?

A conformal function is a mathematical function that preserves angles between curves. This means that if two curves intersect at a certain angle in the original function, they will also intersect at the same angle after applying the conformal function.

2. How do you compose functions that are conformal?

The process of composing functions that are conformal involves first identifying the conformal functions within a given set of functions. Then, the functions are combined in a specific order to preserve the angles between curves. This can be achieved by multiplying the functions together or by applying them in succession.

3. What are some examples of conformal functions?

Some common examples of conformal functions include rotations, translations, and dilations. Other examples include complex exponential functions and logarithmic functions.

4. Can conformal functions be applied in any coordinate system?

Yes, conformal functions can be applied in any coordinate system. However, the resulting angles between curves may differ depending on the coordinate system used.

5. How are conformal functions useful in real-world applications?

Conformal functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to preserve the shape of objects when transforming them in a computer program or in the physical world. In addition, conformal functions are also used in cartography to create accurate map projections.