1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composing functions that are conformal

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let f and g be conformal analytic functions with the range of f a subset of the domain of g. Show that the composition g(f(z)) is also conformal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I know that if the function is conformal it is 1-1, analytic, and its derivative is non zero. So i'm thinking that I would need to show that since f'(z)≠0 and g'(z)≠0 then (g(f(z))'≠0 and then show that since f and g are analytic, g(f(z)) is also analytic. Then the composition will be both analytic and its derivative will not be zero so it will be conformal. Am I working in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's one way to do it. The other way is to just go straight with the definition and show that g(f(z)) preserves angles

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3
    Is it possible to show, in general, that g(f(z)) preserves angles? I thought we would have to have actual functions defined for that..

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4
    How would I prove the derivative part of this? I know that (g(f(z)))'=g'(f(z))*f'(z) and obviously f' is not zero but i'm not sure how to show with certainty that g'(f(z)) is not zero...

6. Apr 8, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are given that "the range of f a subset of the domain of g".

7. Apr 8, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let P, Q, and R be three points such that angle PQR has measure [itex]\theta[/itex]. Then, since f is conformal, P'=f(P), Q'=f(Q), and R'= f(R) are three points such that angle P'Q'R' has measure [itex]\theta[/itex]. And, since g is conformal, P''= g(P'), Q''= g(Q'), and R''= g(R') are three points such that ....

8. Apr 8, 2012 #7
    Such that the angle P''Q''R'' is θ meaning that the composition is angle preserving. right?

9. Apr 8, 2012 #8
    can we say that since the range f(z) is in the domain of g then g(f(z)) is basically g(z)? and then it is non zero from there?

10. Apr 8, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f being conformal doesn't imply that. The 'angle preserving' in conformal refers to the angles between intersecting curves. Not to angles between points. That only works if f maps lines to lines.

11. Apr 8, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

g' is nonzero on its domain. f(z) is in that domain. I wouldn't say 'g(f(z)) is basically g(z)', that's not very true.

12. Apr 8, 2012 #11
    well when we say g(z), that z includes f(z) since the range of f is a subset of the domain of g... ie. g(z) takes values from its domain, which includes f(z).. right?

13. Apr 8, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. Just say f(z) is in the domain of g. Don't say g(f(z)) is the same as g(z).

14. Apr 8, 2012 #13
    ok, got it. Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook