1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compound ballistic pendulum

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    Hello. I am doing a ballistic pendulum lab, and I have gotten stuck at a preparatory exercise. The problem is that the pendulum must be treated as a compound pendulum and not a simple pendulum.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a compound pendulum which is a metal rod of mass M suspended at some point O at a distance d from the center of mass. We fire a bullet of mass m and it hits the pendulum at a distance R from O. The bullet sticks to the pendulum and the pendulum gets an angular velocity. The pendulum has a maximum angle of [tex]\theta_{max}[/tex]. The rod's moment of inertia is I.

Find an expression for the velocity of the bullet.

2. Relevant equations

Angular momentum: [tex]L=I\omega_{p}[/tex]

Max. kinetic energy of the rod with bullet: [tex]\frac{1}{2}(M+m)v^{2}_{p}[/tex]

Max. potential energy of the rod with bullet: [tex]mgh=(M+m)gd(1-cos \theta_{max})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    At the moment of impact angular momentum is conserved (right?): [tex] mv_{b}R = I\omega[/tex]

After the bullet has stuck to the rod mechanical energy is conserved: [tex]\frac{1}{2}(M+m)v^{2}_{p}=(M+m)g(1-cos \theta_{max}) \Leftrightarrow v_{p} = \sqrt{2gd(1-cos\theta_{max})}[/tex]

[tex]\omega_{p} = \frac{v_{p}}{d}[/tex]

[tex]mv_{b}R = I\omega_{p} = I\sqrt{\frac{2g(1-cos\theta_{max})}{d}} \Rightarrow v_{b} = \frac{I}{mR}\sqrt{\frac{2g(1-cos\theta_{max})}{d}}[/tex]

This, however, is not the correct answer which should be [tex]v_{b} = \frac{1}{mR}\sqrt{2IMgd(1-cos\theta_{max})}[/tex]

What have I done wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    Never mind, I had got the problem wrong. It is solved now. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?