Compound lens separated by a distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss's lens equation to determine the distance of an image from the first and second lenses. It also mentions the need for another equation to account for the position of the equivalent lens. A drawing with specific values shows that the equation produces a small term.
Toby_phys

Homework Statement

Capture.jpg

Homework Equations

We will call ##s## the distance of the object from the first lens, ##s'## the distance of the image from the first lens and ##s''## the distance of the image from the second lens.

The Gauss's lens equation:
$$\frac{1}{s} +\frac{1}{s'}=\frac{1}{f_1}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Gauss's lens equation we get:

$$s'=\frac{sf_1}{s-f_1} $$we can use the image from the first lens as the object for the second lens.

$$\frac{-1}{s'-d}+\frac{1}{s''}=\frac{1}{f_2} $$
Note - I feel my mistake is here, I think my algebra is correct after this.

This gets us:

$$ \frac{1}{s''}=\frac{1}{f_2}+\frac{1}{s'-d}=\frac{s-f_1}{sf_1-sd+f_1d}+\frac{1}{f_2}$$
The total focal length is given by:

$$\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{s}+\frac{1}{s''}=\frac{1}{s}+\frac{1}{f_2}+\frac{s-f_1}{sf_1-sd+f_1d}$$

Which doesn't get the desired result. Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Toby,
Toby_phys said:
Note - I feel my mistake is here, I think my algebra is correct after this.
Nope. Just fine.
Toby_phys said:
The total focal length is given by
Are ##s## and ##s'' ## wrt the same zero point ? No.
And: there is another unknown: the position ##x## of the equivalent lens wrt e.g. lens 1... So that$$ {1\over f} = {1\over s + x} + {1\over d + s - x} \ ...$$
Meaning you'll need another equation.

I made a drawing with f1 = f2 = 5 cm, s= 10 cm and d = 3 cm. It comes out pretty neatly (but the ## {3\over 100}## is a rather small term).

1. What is a compound lens?

A compound lens is a type of lens that is made up of two or more individual lenses that are placed close together. This arrangement allows for a larger range of magnification and correction of optical aberrations.

2. What does it mean for a compound lens to be separated by a distance?

When a compound lens is separated by a distance, it means that there is a gap or space between the individual lenses. This distance can affect the overall optical performance of the lens, including its magnification and ability to correct aberrations.

3. How does the distance between compound lenses affect their performance?

The distance between compound lenses can affect their performance in several ways. A larger distance can increase the overall magnification of the lens, while a smaller distance can improve its ability to correct aberrations. However, if the distance is too large or small, it can cause distortion or loss of clarity in the resulting image.

4. Can the distance between compound lenses be adjusted?

In some cases, the distance between compound lenses can be adjusted. This is often seen in adjustable or zoom lenses, where the distance can be changed to vary the magnification and focal length. However, in fixed lenses, the distance is predetermined and cannot be adjusted.

5. Are there any disadvantages to having a larger distance between compound lenses?

Yes, there can be some disadvantages to having a larger distance between compound lenses. As mentioned before, a larger distance can cause distortion or loss of clarity in the resulting image. Additionally, a larger distance can also make the lens larger and heavier, which can be inconvenient for some applications.