Comprehensive electromagnetic induction question

In summary, in order to determine the number of turns in the coil, you need to find the relationships between the total charge, current, emf, and magnetic flux through the coil. These relationships will involve variables such as resistance, radius, length, and the magnetic field produced by the electromagnet. Using these relationships, you can then solve for the unknown number of turns in the coil.
adrianx
The magnetic field between the poles of an electromagnet is 2.6 T. A coil of wire is placed in this region so that the field is parallel to the axis of the coil. The coil has electrical resistance 25 , radius 1.9 cm, and length 15.0 cm. When the current supply to the electromagnet is shut off, the total charge that flows through the coil is 7.0 mC. How many turns are there in the coil?

I know that I have to use more than one equation but I've searched through my book for a couple hours now and nothing is helping. So far, I've picked up these equations:

I = (epsilon)/R = vBL/R
(epsilon) = -L (deltaI / deltat)
L = (mu0) n^2 (pi) r^2 l
flux = LI = (mu0) N I (pi) r^2

I tried to combine the equation for epsilon and self inductance (L) and came out with the wrong answers of 3.42E5 and 5.13E4. Ridiculously large numbers I'm sure. I would appreciate any insight =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, none of the four equations you chose are really appropriate for this problem. To get an idea of which equations you should look for (if you can't remember them), consider the following detailed description of what is physically going on here:

As the magnetic field produced by the electromagnet decreases from 2.6 T to zero, the magnetic flux through the coil decreases from some initial value, to zero. This change in flux induces an emf in the coil, which in turn causes a current in the coil. The net effect of this current, during the time it takes for the magnetic field to decrease to zero, is to cause a total of 7 mC of charge to flow through the coil.

From this description, I hope you can see that you need to know or find out the following relationships, and put them together:

1. How is the total charge that flows through the coil, related to the current through the coil?

2. How is the current through the coil related to the emf in the coil?

3. How is the emf induced in the coil related to the change in the magnetic flux through the coil?

4. What are the initial and final values of the magnetic flux through the coil?

You may need to introduce one or two other variables along the way, of course.

got it.. thanks a lot!

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

According to Faraday's law, a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a conductor. This is because the changing magnetic field causes a force on the electrons in the conductor, which in turn creates an electric current.

3. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic induction?

Some examples of real-life applications of electromagnetic induction include generators, transformers, electric motors, and wireless charging technology.

4. What is the difference between Faraday's law and Lenz's law?

Faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current, while Lenz's law states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic field.

5. How is electromagnetic induction related to electricity and magnetism?

Electromagnetic induction is a phenomenon that demonstrates the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It shows that a changing magnetic field can create an electric current, and vice versa.