Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressability of gases

1. Jun 16, 2006 #1
    Is there a unit to measure the compressability of a gas? What gases are the hardest to compress? The easiest? Any links to a better understanding?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

Compressibility is measured in reciprocal pressure.

Ordinarily, I don't get too picky about spelling --- this is a thermodynamic term --- as such, it makes me picky.

4. Jun 16, 2006 #3
    Sure, its called the Bulk Modulus and is defined as:

[tex]E_v = \frac{dp}{d \rho / \rho} = - \frac{dp}{dV / V}[/tex]

Basically, it is the negative of the ratio of a change in pressure, p, to the ratio of the change in volume V, to the origional volume, V. (Or instead of volume V, density [itex]\rho[/itex] <but no minus sign>)

You lost me with this statement.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  5. Jun 16, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

dV/V ? Unitless. 1/dP ? Reciprocal pressure --- unit(s) of compressibility? Reciprocal pressure.

6. Jun 16, 2006 #5
    The units of the Bulk modulus are pressure, [itex]FL^{-2}[/itex] not the reciprocal. You still have me confused with what your trying to say. :confused:

7. Jun 16, 2006 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Compressibility is the reciprocal of the bulk modulus. Do the dimensional analysis.

8. Jun 16, 2006 #7
    Oh, my book says the "bulk modulus" but does not say the inverse is called the compressiblity. I just looked it up on wiki.

Then yes, now you make sense. :wink:

In that case, take the inverse of everything I have said! (or read your screen upside down)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  9. Jun 16, 2006 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thermo for mechs vs. thermo for eggheads vs. thermo for chemists, and all the different approaches taken by authors? Don't let it bug you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?