1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressible vs. Incompressible Flow Equations

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    As a private study i'm trying to figure out fluid dynamics applied to compressed air systems. Most of the material I am studying considers only incompressible fluid flow. From what I understand about the differences between compressible and incompressible flow in terms of the equations it only becomes significant when the mach number reaches about 0.3

In my systems i'm dealing with working pressures of no greater than 7 bar. Can apply standard equations to my calculations without having to compensate for changing densities due to pressure?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That depends entirely on how fast the air may move in your system and the range of pressures you plan to operate in. You haven't really described anything in enough detail to know that.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

cjl

At pressures of up to 7 bar, you could very easily have flow choking in places (in other words, locations in the flow where M = 1), so with the information provided, it's impossible to say whether incompressible equations will suffice or not for your purposes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook