Compton scattering problem - how much did wavelength change by?

In summary, the wavelength of the incident X-ray photon will change by 2.424 x 10-12 m if it is scattered by 30 degrees.
daleklama

Homework Statement

How much will the wavelength of the incident X-ray photon change by if it is scattered by 30 degrees when it interacts with an electron?

Homework Equations

This is Compton scattering.

This is the equation I used:

lambda ' - lambda (0) = (h)/(m(e)c) (1-cos theta)

where h is Planck's constant, me is the mass of the electron, c is speed of light.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I just subbed in everything into the equation above, and got 2.424 x 10^-12 m.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether I'm finished or not.

Does lambda ' minus lambda (0) give me the difference? Did I use the right form of the equation here? Do I need to do anything else?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
daleklama said:

Homework Statement

How much will the wavelength of the incident X-ray photon change by if it is scattered by 30 degrees when it interacts with an electron?

Homework Equations

This is Compton scattering.

This is the equation I used:

lambda ' - lambda (0) = (h)/(m(e)c) (1-cos theta)

where h is Planck's constant, me is the mass of the electron, c is speed of light.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I just subbed in everything into the equation above, and got 2.424 x 10^-12 m.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether I'm finished or not.
You forgot to multiply by the (1 - cos θ) part of the formula. Your value of 2.424 x 10-12 m is just h/(mec), the Compton wavelength of an electron. (And you might want to check the rounding on that too.)
Does lambda ' minus lambda (0) give me the difference?
I'm pretty sure, yes. :approve:

λ' - λ0 represents the increase in wavelength of the photon after scattering, as compared to the wavelength of the original photon. This increase in wavelength is at minimum 0, and at maximum twice the Compton wavelength.

Thank you very much, I corrected that :)

Related to Compton scattering problem - how much did wavelength change by?

1. What is Compton scattering and how does it affect the wavelength of light?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which an incoming photon interacts with a free electron, resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength. This change in wavelength is known as the Compton shift.

2. What is the formula for calculating the change in wavelength due to Compton scattering?

The formula for calculating the Compton shift is Δλ = (h/mc)(1-cosθ), where Δλ is the change in wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle between the incoming and scattered photon.

3. How much does the wavelength change by in a typical Compton scattering problem?

The amount of change in wavelength can vary depending on the energy of the incoming photon and the angle of scattering. However, in most cases, the change in wavelength is on the order of 10^-12 meters.

4. What factors can affect the amount of change in wavelength in a Compton scattering problem?

The amount of change in wavelength can be affected by the energy of the incoming photon, the angle of scattering, the mass of the electron, and the speed of light. Additionally, the type of material the electron is interacting with can also impact the Compton shift.

5. How is Compton scattering used in scientific research and applications?

Compton scattering is used in various fields of science, including astrophysics, nuclear physics, and material science. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as Compton tomography to create images of the inside of objects. The Compton shift is also a crucial concept in understanding the nature of light and the behavior of subatomic particles.