Compute Lim Inf & Lim Sup of Sequence

• Thread starter tracedinair
  • Start date
In summary, the terms of the sequence are 1/(2^(2)) + 1/(3^(2)) + 1/(2^(3)) + 1/(3^(3)) + ... and the lim inf (a_n+1)/(a_n); lim sup (a_n+1)/(a_n); lim inf (a_n)^(1/n); lim sup (a_n)^(1/n) are computed as follows: lim inf (a_n+1)/(a_n) = (3n+1 + 2n+1)/(6(3n + 2n)); lim sup (a_n+1)/(a_
tracedinair

Homework Statement

Given the sequence, 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/(2^(2)) + 1/(3^(2)) + 1/(2^(3)) + 1/(3^(3)) + ..., Describe the terms of the sequence and use it to compute the lim inf (a_n+1)/(a_n); lim sup (a_n+1)/(a_n); lim inf (a_n)^(1/n); lim sup (a_n)^(1/n).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the formula for the sequence, which is [tex]\Sigma[/tex] i=1 to infinity of [1/(2^(i)) + 1/(3^(i))].

I wrote out some terms of the sequence, but I'm having a hard time pulling out a subsequence to compute the ratio and root tests.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/(2^(2)) + 1/(3^(2)) + 1/(2^(3)) + 1/(3^(3)) + ... is an infinite sum (AKA infinite series), not a sequence. Every infinite sum has a sequence associated with it, the sequence of partial sums, {Sn}, which is defined this way:
[tex]S_n~=~\sum_{i = 1}^n a_n[/tex]

Is an defined for your infinite sum? If not, it would be more convenient to define the general term in your series as an = 1/2n + 1/3n. If an is defined in this way or can be defined this way, the ratio an + 1/an is fairly easy to calculate, and comes out to (3n+1 + 2n+1)/(6(3n + 2n)). You should be able to work with this to get your lim sup and lim inf values

On the other hand, if an has a different formula for the even terms and the odd terms, it's going to be more difficult to calculate the aforementioned ratio.

The second part of the problem says I should consider both cases, positive and negative, when computing the lim inf and lim sup. I've never seen this type of problem before and I'm totally sure what it is asking me to do.

You didn't include that information in your problem description. What do you mean, both cases, positive and negative?

Yeah, both cases positive and negative.

Again, what do you mean by the positive and negative cases?

From my notes: After writing down a formula for {a_n}, describe {a_n} when n is even (n=2k) and when n is odd (2k-1).

Last edited:
That information would have answered my questions in post #2. This doesn't have anything to do with positive and negative, but rather, odd and even terms.

So finally, we're getting somewhere.

Here are some more questions.
What do the a2k terms of this series look like?
What do the a2k - 1 terms look like?

If these are too hard, what do a2, a4, a6, and so on look like? Can you generalize this?

What do a1, a3, a5, and so on look like? Can you generalize this?

How are you getting the lim inf and lim sup vales out of (3n+1 + 2n+1)/(6(3n + 2n))?

I'm not. Look at post #8 again, and answer the questions I've asked.

Related to Compute Lim Inf & Lim Sup of Sequence

What is the definition of Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence?

The Lim Inf (limit inferior) of a sequence is the largest number that is smaller than or equal to infinitely many terms in the sequence. The Lim Sup (limit superior) of a sequence is the smallest number that is larger than or equal to infinitely many terms in the sequence.

How are Lim Inf and Lim Sup calculated for a sequence?

To calculate the Lim Inf of a sequence, you need to find the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the terms in the sequence. To calculate the Lim Sup of a sequence, you need to find the largest number that is smaller than or equal to all the terms in the sequence.

Why is it important to compute Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence?

Computing Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence helps us understand the behavior and limits of the sequence. It can also help us determine the convergence or divergence of the sequence.

What is the difference between Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence?

The main difference between Lim Inf and Lim Sup is that Lim Inf is the largest number that is smaller than or equal to infinitely many terms in the sequence, while Lim Sup is the smallest number that is larger than or equal to infinitely many terms in the sequence.

Can a sequence have the same Lim Inf and Lim Sup?

Yes, a sequence can have the same Lim Inf and Lim Sup. This means that the sequence is convergent and the limit of the sequence is equal to both the Lim Inf and Lim Sup.