Computer Axial Lithography: Just Awesome

In summary, CAL is shown printing the Thinker in minutes all at once using a new technique that is not layer by layer as is done with many of today's 3D printers. Looks interesting, but even after watching the video, the new technique wasn't very clear to me.
In this video, CAL is shown printing the Thinker in minutes all at once:

not layer by layer as is done with many of today's 3D printers.

Likes Wrichik Basu, davenn, anorlunda and 2 others
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks interesting, but even after watching the video, the new technique wasn't very clear to me. Is the figure built up from the central axis out? Or is it built up over time with multiple coincident laser passes in the volume of the figure? It looks like the resulting figure is transparent -- is that needed for the process to work?

Likes Tom.G
So much science here! Feeling a bit like star trek!

Likes jedishrfu
I think the device builds out from the axis otherwise youd have liquid inside the figure.

Notice they have to do controlled rotation of the liquid as they hit it with the three light sources.

Each light source by itself can't solidify the liquid only when all three hit it will that spot turn solid.

Also i think the liquid needs to be somewhat transparent or translucent for it to work.

It reminds me of the plastic educator device in the movie Forbidden Planet where your thoughts are made into animated 3D images.

https://goo.gl/images/q78zxY

You know that would be an interesting idea of a 3D printer that rotated the stock under the extrusion nozzle to build axial shapes.

The nozzle would traverse on the x-axis while the stock rotated on the same x-axis kind of like athe only stuff is put on not taken off.

In my experience, a true test for a 3d printer is to print a 1/4 inch bolt and a 1/4 inch nut, and after it's done screw them together.
A soft version of Rodan's Thinker is no test for precision, constitency, and integrity of form.
The innovative new medium is exciting, but I'm disappointed that keen minds, considered that as a valid example.
I would challenge them to my test, or concede the technology as more development time in it's future.

FYI. I print specialty nuts and bolts in nylon, with a Lulzbot Taz 5.

Likes berkeman
For sure your test is a good one as a measure of precision.

The new method does things in minutes instead of hours and that's why folks are so excited. Also i don't know how durable the new solid is.

jedishrfu said:
I think the device builds out from the axis otherwise youd have liquid inside the figure.
Not necessarily, given that the figure is transparent. Solidification of the inside could continue after the outside hardens

Likes jedishrfu and anorlunda
jedishrfu said:
Also i don't know how durable the new solid is.
Durability is not important if you use the object as a plug for lost-wax casting of a metal or resin.

Likes jedishrfu
This is true my comment was in reference to making a usable nut and bolt which needs some durability.

However i think the process is more for fast prototyping objects for design.

I was very interested in what he said about reversing the process of a CAT scan; made me wonder if they will find a way to replace the light projection with interacting graduated magnetic fields, to fashion things out of ferrous materials. As is, it appears the printer can only make things out of this one resin.

Also I would imagine that the emitters will be replaced with something more like phased-array or synthetic-aperture radar, so the object being printed can sit still, and the emitters rotate virtually.

1. What is Computer Axial Lithography (CAL)?

Computer Axial Lithography, also known as CAL, is a 3D printing technique that uses a computer-controlled laser to cure a liquid resin layer by layer, creating a solid object with high precision and accuracy.

2. How does CAL work?

CAL works by using a computer-controlled laser to selectively cure a liquid resin, layer by layer, based on a digital design file. The laser moves in a controlled pattern, tracing the cross-section of the object onto the liquid resin, which solidifies upon contact with the laser. This process is repeated layer by layer until the entire object is created.

3. What are the advantages of CAL over traditional 3D printing techniques?

CAL offers several advantages over traditional 3D printing techniques, including higher precision and accuracy, smoother surface finish, and the ability to create complex and intricate designs. It also allows for the use of a wider range of materials, including biocompatible and high-performance materials.

4. What are the applications of CAL?

CAL has a wide range of applications in various industries, including healthcare, aerospace, automotive, and consumer products. It can be used to create prototypes, custom medical devices, and even end-use parts with high precision and complex geometries.

5. What are the limitations of CAL?

While CAL offers many advantages, it also has some limitations. One of the main limitations is the size of the objects that can be created, as it is currently limited to smaller objects. It also requires specialized equipment and expertise, making it a more expensive option compared to traditional 3D printing techniques.