Computer powered off, despite being plugged in. Battery wasn't charging...

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with a PC suddenly powering off and not being able to turn back on. It is suggested that the battery or the power cord may be the problem, and options for recharging the battery are limited. It is also mentioned that the computer may be able to run without a battery. The conversation also mentions the possibility of transferring data to a new PC by removing the hard drive and using an adapter, or starting fresh without any old files. The conversation concludes with the mention of a potential issue with the phone charger's charging pod.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
So, PC powered of all the sudden, wont power on. Battery had not been charging when PC was plugged in. So, can I conclude neither battery nor power cord are working well? I guess my options for doing something to have battery recharge are limited, given PC won't power on. Do I have any option to transfer data to a new PC other than removing the drive and connecting it as a slave to a new PC?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It could be just the charging unit. It's likely that the computer runs off the battery and the charging unit recharges the battery. Some computers had a scheme where they could run with no battery.

How old is it? I think five years or more would indicate battery too.

Without a charge, you'll need to remove the HD and get an adapter to use it as an external drive for backup or you can start a fresh new life without any baggage computer files. I think the adapter kits are about $30 or so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0969H82M2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes WWGD
Thanks, suddenly PC works while plugged, but battery still not charging. But PC itself , through USB, is charging the phone. I suspect the charging pod of the phone charger is not working.

What could be causing my computer to power off, even though it's plugged in?

There could be several potential causes for this issue. It's possible that the power outlet or power cord is faulty, preventing the battery from charging. It's also possible that there is a hardware problem with the computer itself, such as a faulty charging port or battery. Another possible cause could be an overheating issue, as some computers will automatically shut off to prevent damage if they get too hot.

Why is my computer's battery not charging?

There are a few potential reasons why your computer's battery may not be charging. It could be a problem with the charging cable or adapter, the charging port on the computer, or the battery itself. It's also possible that there is a software issue causing the battery not to charge, in which case it may need to be reset or updated.

What can I do to fix my computer if it's not charging?

If your computer's battery is not charging, first try troubleshooting by checking the power outlet, cable, and adapter for any issues. If those seem to be working properly, try resetting the computer or updating the software. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue and you may need to take your computer to a professional for repairs.

Can I continue using my computer while it's plugged in and the battery isn't charging?

Yes, you can continue to use your computer while it's plugged in even if the battery isn't charging. However, keep in mind that this can put added strain on the charging port and battery, so it's best to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent any further damage.

How can I prevent my computer's battery from not charging in the future?

To prevent your computer's battery from not charging in the future, make sure to properly maintain your charging cable and adapter, as well as the charging port on your computer. It's also important to regularly clean out any dust or debris that may be blocking the charging port. If you notice any issues with your computer's battery or charging, address them promptly to prevent further damage.