Computing a line integral: How to parametrize and evaluate?

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the line integral for the given curve is computed by parametrizing with the appropriate interval and applying the formula \int_{C} f(P) dx = \int_{a}^{b} f(P(t)) x'(t) dt for t \in [a,b]. The given curve is an arc, so it is one-to-one and differentiable. After computing all the necessary derivatives, the resulting integral is evaluated to find the final answer. A common mistake to avoid is forgetting to take the negative of t when computing the square root of x.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let C be the arc [itex]x=t^2, \space y=2t, \space z= \sqrt{4+3t}[/itex] for [itex]t \in [-1,0][/itex]

Evaluate the line integral :

[itex]\int_{C} z^2dx + \sqrt{x}dy - 4xyz dz[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{C} f(P) dx = \int_{a}^{b} f(P(t)) x'(t) dt[/itex] for [itex]t \in [a,b][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have not computed one of these before. I know I'm supposed to parametrize ( choose a parameter ) and then compute my according integral. I really only need help setting it up, so here goes nothing :

This question already has a nice parameter t picked out for me on an appropriate interval. Since the curve is an arc, we know it is one to one, i.e there are no self intersections.

So we compute :

[itex]dx = 2tdt, \space dy = 2dt, \space dz = \frac{1}{2} (4+3t)^{-1/2} dt[/itex]

*I'm not sure I should be concerned with smoothness here*.

Thus our integral becomes :

[itex]\int_{C} z^2dx + \sqrt{x}dy - 4xyz dz = \int_{-1}^{0} (6t^2+8t)dt + (2t)dt - (4t^3)dt[/itex]

So after computing everything and setting it all up that's what I think I should get. Then computing the integral is a simple matter. I just want to make sure I'm not jumping too quickly missing anything and if anyone could verify it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Let C be the arc [itex]x=t^2, \space y=2t, \space z= \sqrt{4+3t}[/itex] for [itex]t \in [-1,0][/itex]

Evaluate the line integral :

[itex]\int_{C} z^2dx + \sqrt{x}dy - 4xyz dz[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int_{C} f(P) dx = \int_{a}^{b} f(P(t)) x'(t) dt[/itex] for [itex]t \in [a,b][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have not computed one of these before. I know I'm supposed to parametrize ( choose a parameter ) and then compute my according integral. I really only need help setting it up, so here goes nothing :

This question already has a nice parameter t picked out for me on an appropriate interval. Since the curve is an arc, we know it is one to one, i.e there are no self intersections.

So we compute :

[itex]dx = 2tdt, \space dy = 2dt, \space dz = \frac{1}{2} (4+3t)^{-1/2} dt[/itex]

*I'm not sure I should be concerned with smoothness here*.

Thus our integral becomes :

[itex]\int_{C} z^2dx + \sqrt{x}dy - 4xyz dz = \int_{-1}^{0} (6t^2+8t)dt + (2t)dt - (4t^3)dt[/itex]

So after computing everything and setting it all up that's what I think I should get. Then computing the integral is a simple matter. I just want to make sure I'm not jumping too quickly missing anything and if anyone could verify it would be much appreciated.

You've got the right procedure. You don't need to check that it's 1-1. You do want it to be differentiable, but it clearly is. You are missing some details. Check dz again, and I don't think sqrt(x) is t. Remember t is negative.

Dick said:
You've got the right procedure. You don't need to check that it's 1-1. You do want it to be differentiable, but it clearly is. You are missing some details. Check dz again, and I don't think sqrt(x) is t. Remember t is negative.

Silly me, I forgot my chain rule for a second there.

Also, x = t2, so sqrt(x) = t.

You expression for dz is not quite right. Other than that it looks ok.

Zondrina said:
Silly me, I forgot my chain rule for a second there.

Also, x = t2, so sqrt(x) = t.

t is NEGATIVE. I don't think the square root of t^2 can be negative.

Dick said:
t is NEGATIVE. I don't think the square root of t^2 can be negative.

The most common mistake in math I believe... I see why it's -t now.

If "t in [-1, 0]" bothers you let s= -t. Then [itex]x= t^2= s^2[/itex], [itex]y= 2t= -2s[/itex], and [itex]z= \sqrt{4+ 3t}= \sqrt{4- 3s}[/itex] with s in [0, 1].

HallsofIvy said:
If "t in [-1, 0]" bothers you let s= -t. Then [itex]x= t^2= s^2[/itex], [itex]y= 2t= -2s[/itex], and [itex]z= \sqrt{4+ 3t}= \sqrt{4- 3s}[/itex] with s in [0, 1].

Ohh I understand now. I had a question to prove this in general in my tutorial that I never had a chance to do.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to measure the total change of a function along a specific path. It is used to calculate the work done by a force along a curved path, or to find the total mass of a thin wire.

What is the formula for computing a line integral?

The formula for computing a line integral is ∫f(x,y) ds = ∫f(x(t), y(t)) √(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 dt, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated, ds is the infinitesimal length along the path, and dx/dt and dy/dt are the derivatives of the parametric equations of the path.

What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

A line integral is used to measure the change of a function along a specific path, while a surface integral is used to measure the flux of a vector field through a two-dimensional surface. A line integral is a one-dimensional integral, while a surface integral is a two-dimensional integral.

How is a line integral used in physics?

In physics, line integrals are used to calculate the work done by a force along a curved path. This is important in fields such as electromagnetism, where the line integral of the electric field along a closed path is equal to the voltage difference between the two endpoints of the path. Line integrals are also used in mechanics to calculate the total mass of a thin wire.

What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Some real-life applications of line integrals include calculating the flow of a fluid along a certain path, computing the average concentration of a chemical along a pipe or channel, and determining the total distance traveled by a moving object with varying speed along a given path.