1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing a power spectrum

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    This is more of a data analysis question than a mathematics question so feel free to move it to wherever you think it is most likely to be answered.

I have some time series data that looks (just by eye) like it should have several peaks in its power spectrum.

However, when I compute the power spectrum, the function I get is nearly identically zero. It has a very large power value for the first frequency point and then 0 everywhere else.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any ideas what could be happening? I'm pretty sure that the method I am using to calculate the power spectrum is (nearly) good since I can get good results on sine waves and the like. It just doesn't seem to work on any actual data.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2
    oh, nevermind I figured it out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook