Computing the Directional Derivative ....

In summary, there is a typo in question 2.4 (a) (i) where the function f is incorrectly given as f(x) = x instead of f(x,y,z) = x. The correct functions for (i), (ii), and (iii) are f(x,y,z) = x, f(x,y,z) = y^2-y, and f(x,y,z) = cos(z) respectively, and the question is meant to help contrast how different v's affect these types of functions.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Jon Pierre Fortney's book: A Visual Introduction to Differential Forms and Calculus on Manifolds ... and am currently focused on Chapter 2: An Introduction to Differential Forms ...

I need help with Question 2.4 (a) (i) concerned with computing a directional derivative ...

Question 2.4, including the preceding definition of a directional derivative, reads as follows:
?temp_hash=ace156332842baad0083f00ad43f1083.png

My question/problem is as follows:

In question 2.4 (a) (i) we are asked to find ##v_p[f]## where ##f## is given as ##f(x) = x## ... ... BUT ... ##v## and ##p## are given in ##\mathbb{R}^3## ... so doesn't ##f## need to be defined on ##\mathbb{R}^3## ... say something like ##f(x,y, z) = x## or similar ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Fortney - Question 2.4 .png
    Fortney - Question 2.4 .png
    40.1 KB · Views: 527
  • ?temp_hash=ace156332842baad0083f00ad43f1083.png
    ?temp_hash=ace156332842baad0083f00ad43f1083.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,037
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree; none of the examples given in 2.4(a) make sense as functions from [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Are there any hints or solutions in the text which shed light on what the author intended to say here?

Likes WWGD, member 587159 and Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
I am reading Jon Pierre Fortney's book: A Visual Introduction to Differential Forms and Calculus on Manifolds ... and am currently focused on Chapter 2: An Introduction to Differential Forms ...

I need help with Question 2.4 (a) (i) concerned with computing a directional derivative ...

Question 2.4, including the preceding definition of a directional derivative, reads as follows:View attachment 236656
My question/problem is as follows:

In question 2.4 (a) (i) we are asked to find ##v_p[f]## where ##f## is given as ##f(x) = x## ... ... BUT ... ##v## and ##p## are given in ##\mathbb{R}^3## ... so doesn't ##f## need to be defined on ##\mathbb{R}^3## ... say something like ##f(x,y, z) = x## or similar ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter
Grrrrrr! Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

That question is a very bad typo. :( If I remember what I was doing when I wrote that question is that I mean for (i) to be f(x,y,z)=x (so that the the function only actually depended on the one variable x and not on y and z) and then to have the functions in (ii) and (iii) to be functions that depended on y and z respectively. This was meant to help you contrast between these types of functions. But sadly, it is a typo for the time being so you are quite right to be confused. What I had really wanted was something like this:

(i) f(x,y,z) = x
(ii) f(x,y,z)=y^2-y
(iii) f(x,y,z)=cos(z)

So even though they are functions of three variables they really only depend on one variable. Consider how each of the v's effect each of these types of functions. If there is one thing I have learned from writing this book it is how hard it is to catch typos! Sorry again.

Likes WWGD and PeroK

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in a specific direction. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point along a particular direction.

How is the directional derivative computed?

The directional derivative is computed using the gradient of the function and the direction vector. The formula for computing the directional derivative is given by Df = ∇f · v, where ∇f is the gradient of the function and v is the direction vector.

What is the significance of computing directional derivatives?

Computing directional derivatives is important in many applications, especially in physics and engineering. It helps in understanding how a function changes in a specific direction and can be used to optimize processes and make predictions.

What are some common uses of directional derivatives?

Directional derivatives are often used in fields such as computer graphics, meteorology, and economics. They can also be used in optimization problems, finding maximum or minimum values of a function in a particular direction.

Are there any limitations to using directional derivatives?

Yes, directional derivatives can only be computed for continuous functions. Additionally, they may not exist for functions with sharp corners or discontinuities. In these cases, alternative methods such as subgradients can be used.