Conan and Jim Carrey on QM

• Thread starter Manchot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary: Nerdiness is innate. It is not a product of college education. Conan O'Brien graduated from high school and then went to Harvard University. While at Harvard, he was a writer for the Harvard Lampoon humor magazine. He also served as the magazine's president during his sophomore and junior years.
Manchot
I thought this was pretty funny:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wonder how long it took him to memorize that :rolleyes:

Moridin said:

You cynic:wink: :smile:

That's pretty funny actually.:biggrin:

:rofl: Nice.

That is funny!

What is funny :confused:
This is an interesting discussion :approve:
Although, <insert here silly geek comment>
:tongue2:

Haha. That was classic!

humanino said:
What is funny :confused:
This is an interesting discussion :approve:
You must be an insider! I found it nonsensical.
Although, <insert here silly geek comment>
For instance, how does the "diffusion constant D", which is dimensionally the inverse of time, supposed to "approach t_n"? Also, Carrey's first sentence sounds like a great revelation or exciting explanation, when in fact, it is simply the definition of a phase bistability, and is not at all specific to an electron in a Penning trap.

Gokul43201 said:

I saw it on Conan the other night and thought it was hilarious, but did wonder if it was just a bunch of nonsense strung together to sound smart, or if someone had actually coached them and helped put together something actually scientifically sound. I'm glad someone found a clip to ask here. The exchange did sound like some of the arguments I've read in a few subfora around here. :biggrin: :rofl:

Gokul43201 said:
For instance, how does the "diffusion constant D", which is dimensionally the inverse of time, supposed to "approach t_n"? Also, Carrey's first sentence sounds like a great revelation or exciting explanation, when in fact, it is simply the definition of a phase bistability, and is not at all specific to an electron in a Penning trap.

In order to understand, you would have to watch the entire show.

Moonbear said:
I saw it on Conan the other night and thought it was hilarious, but did wonder if it was just a bunch of nonsense strung together to sound smart, or if someone had actually coached them and helped put together something actually scientifically sound.
Despite my objection above (and I didn't watch the entire show) it may be scientifically sound. But it is still reading of definitions made to sound like a discussion of interesting results. Everyone knows that particles that are thermally activated from a trap will escape at a rate that goes "exponentially like the negative of the activation energy". You learn the Arrhenius equation in a high school chemistry class.

Btw, I was kidding. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Btw, I was kidding. :biggrin:
I think Gokul is kidding too :rofl:

Gokul43201 said:
For instance, how does the "diffusion constant D", which is dimensionally the inverse of time, supposed to "approach t_n"?
A diffusion coefficient usually has units of unit area per unit time, e.g. cm2 s-1.

Perhaps tn is normalized time.

I am sure it sounded impressive to the audience.

I found it non-sensical too.

Nice skit, though!

My opinion: Show off...

A decade ago they thought we nerds were really creepy and avoided us whenever we came down the hallway (Mind you, I was doing really nerdy 3 year old stuff back then), and now, they USE us! For publicity!

Astronuc said:
I am sure it sounded impressive to the audience.
That's all they were supposed to accomplish.

I found it non-sensical too.
It didn't matter if it was. It was meant to be funny, not educational. I doubt anyone assumed they were talking serious science. I just found it hilarious that I've actually heard people talk like that (though, sometimes it hasn't been about science, but science fiction...*snickers* "Only a moron wouldn't know that in episode 2 of season 3 of Stargate..." :biggrin:)

Talk about beating a dead horse. -it was a joke people, :rolleyes: -

cyrusabdollahi said:
Talk about beating a dead horse. -it was a joke people, :rolleyes: -

There's a good deal of irony in the amount of discussion that has occurred here over that particular joke. :biggrin:

MadScientist 1000 said:
My opinion: Show off...

A decade ago they thought we nerds were really creepy and avoided us whenever we came down the hallway (Mind you, I was doing really nerdy 3 year old stuff back then), and now, they USE us! For publicity!
Don't worry about it, Conan O'Brien is also a huge nerd. He was a writer for the Simpsons and SNL, after all.

humanino said:
I think Gokul is kidding too :rofl:

I was worried about Cyrus.

Manchot said:
Don't worry about it, Conan O'Brien is also a huge nerd. He was a writer for the Simpsons and SNL, after all.

Yeah, but he never went to college

DeadWolfe said:
Yeah, but he never went to college

Nerdiness is innate. It is not a product of college education.

Wiki said:
After graduating from high school, O'Brien entered Harvard University and, in his three upper-class years, lived in Mather House. Throughout his college career, he was a writer for the Harvard Lampoon humor magazine. During his sophomore and junior years, O'Brien served as the Lampoon's president, making him only the second person ever to serve as president twice, and the first person to have done it in 85 years. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard College in 1985 with a B.A. in U.S. History.

Hahaha, he showed you. Top 20% of class of 85' at Harvard.

Last edited:
Moridin said:

Sheesh! Have you never heard of prompters?

1. What is the connection between Conan and Jim Carrey and quantum mechanics?

Conan O'Brien and Jim Carrey have both publicly expressed an interest in quantum mechanics, and have even discussed the topic together on Conan's talk show. Additionally, both have referenced quantum physics in their comedy routines.

2. Do Conan and Jim Carrey have a background in science or quantum mechanics?

Neither Conan nor Jim Carrey have a formal background in science or quantum mechanics. However, both have shown a curiosity and interest in the subject, often making jokes and references to it in their work.

3. Have Conan and Jim Carrey collaborated on any projects related to quantum mechanics?

While they have not collaborated on any official projects related to quantum mechanics, they have discussed the topic together on Conan's talk show. They have also both been guests on the science-based talk show "StarTalk" with Neil deGrasse Tyson.

4. Has Jim Carrey's interest in quantum mechanics influenced his acting or comedy?

There is no direct evidence that Jim Carrey's interest in quantum mechanics has influenced his acting or comedy. However, he has referenced the subject in his work, and some have speculated that his interest may have influenced his spiritual beliefs and outlook on life.

5. How does quantum mechanics relate to comedy and entertainment?

Quantum mechanics is a complex and often abstract subject, and many comedians enjoy poking fun at the strange and counterintuitive aspects of it. In addition, the concept of parallel universes and multiple realities can be a source of inspiration for creative storytelling and comedic scenarios.