What is the Ray Tracing Diagram for a Concave Lens with f < do < R?

In summary, the conversation is about a student's attempt to create a ray tracing diagram for a concave lens with specific measurements. The student drew the focal ray through the focus and parallel to the principal axis, as well as the principal ray parallel to the principal axis then through the focus. However, the resulting diagram did not have any converging lines. The student then chose specific numbers to confirm their diagram and calculated the magnification factor, which indicated a real image that is inverted and magnified by a factor of two. The student is confused and seeking help.
chrisfnet

Homework Statement

I have a concave lens where f < do < R. I have to provide a ray tracing diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the focal ray through the focus and parallel to the principal axis. I drew the principal ray parallel to the principal axis then through the focus. I drew a dashed line from the center past the object tip and to the lens.

This leads to a diagram where there are no converging lines. However, if I arbitrarily choose some numbers to confirm this... this is where I get confused.

I'll choose a focal length (f) of 5cm. This means that R must be 2f. So, R = 10cm.

I'll choose an so between 5cm and 10cm of 7.5cm.

Given that:

1/so + 1/si = 1/f

1/0.075m + 1/si = 1/0.05m

si = 0.15m

M = -0.15m/0.075m = -2

This is telling me that I have a real image that is inverted and magnified by a factor of two.

Confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your diargam look anything like this?

http://kottan-labs.bgsu.edu/teaching/workshop2001/chapter2_files/image008.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the Ray Tracing Diagram for a Concave Lens with f < do < R?

1. What is a concave lens?

A concave lens is a type of lens that is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. It is curved inward and causes light rays to spread out, making objects appear smaller and closer together.

2. How does a concave lens affect light rays?

A concave lens causes light rays to diverge or spread out. This is because the lens is thicker at the edges, causing the light to bend away from the center of the lens.

3. How is ray tracing used with concave lenses?

Ray tracing is a method used to determine how light rays will behave when passing through a concave lens. It involves drawing a ray diagram to track the path of light rays as they pass through the lens.

4. What happens to an object's image when viewed through a concave lens?

When an object is viewed through a concave lens, the image appears smaller and upright. It is also located behind the lens and is virtual, meaning it cannot be projected onto a screen.

5. Can a concave lens be used to correct vision?

Yes, concave lenses are commonly used in eyeglasses to correct nearsightedness. The lens helps to diverge the light entering the eye, allowing for clearer vision.