Concentric Coils EMF from Graph

In summary: Basically, yes. But don't forget that the small coil also has a certain number of... turns... so the induced emf in the smaller coil will also be related to the magnetic field created by the large coil.
Minescrushessouls

Homework Statement

Two concentric circular coils of wire lie in a plane. The larger coil has 61 turns and a radius of a = 7.40 cm. The smaller coil has 58 turns and a radius of b = 0.95 cm. The current in the larger coil has a time dependence as shown in the figure.

Picture and graph:
http://imgur.com/fHB07bx

Approximately what is the magnitude of the EMF induced in the small coil at t = 8 s?

Homework Equations

ξ=(d/dt)∫B⋅dA

∫B⋅dl=μ*I

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking the derivative of the slope given with respect to time
So -15*e^(-3t)
And multiplying that by the area of the small coil and the number of turns in the small coil.
I don't really know where to go from there. [/B]

I got 3.78E-12 V and that's not right

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field produced by the large coil can be considered as uniform over the area of the small coil. This simplifies calculating the flux through the small coil.

You'll need to recall how to find B at the center of a circular coil due to a current in the coil.

So the Biot-Savart Law? So dB=(μIdl×r)/(4πR^2)
Can dL be simplified to 2πR meaning the law could be written as (μI)/(2R) and then multiplied by N?
But where does the smaller coil come into play? I guess I'm confused by the concept

Minescrushessouls said:
So the Biot-Savart Law? So dB=(μIdl×r)/(4πR^2)
Can dL be simplified to 2πR meaning the law could be written as (μI)/(2R) and then multiplied by N?
Yes
But where does the smaller coil come into play? I guess I'm confused by the concept
The smaller coil comes into play when you are trying to find the induced emf in the smaller coil. What do you need to know in order to find the induced emf in the smaller coil?

The large coil causes a flux change in the smaller one when the current changes in it.
How are the flux change and the induced emf related?

andrevdh said:
The large coil causes a flux change in the smaller one when the current changes in it.
How are the flux change and the induced emf related?

The derivative of the change in flux with respect to time is emf, but I guess I'm most confused about how to go about the induced part of this problem

TSny said:
Yes
The smaller coil comes into play when you are trying to find the induced emf in the smaller coil. What do you need to know in order to find the induced emf in the smaller coil?

The flux with respect to time, is that where the graph comes into play?

Minescrushessouls said:
The flux with respect to time, is that where the graph comes into play?
Yes. Note that the exponential decay part of the graph is proportional to ##e^{-(t-6)/2}##, not ##e^{-3t}##.

TSny said:
Yes. Note that the exponential decay part of the graph is proportional to ##e^{-(t-6)/2}##, not ##e^{-3t}##.

Oh ok, I must have missed that.

So it would be d/dt(μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra?

Does that make sense? That would be the emf in the large coil, but how do I translate that into induced emf for the smaller one? Or is it all the same?

Minescrushessouls said:
So it would be d/dt(μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra?
What does this expression represent?

The flux of the large coil, with current as a function
When the derivative is taken with respect to time, its the emf in the large coil

Minescrushessouls said:
The flux of the large coil, with current as a function
When the derivative is taken with respect to time, its the emf in the large coil
No, it is not the flux or the time derivative of the flux.

In the expression d/dt(μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra, you are taking the time derivative of μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra. What does μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra represent? Refer back to post #3.

TSny said:
No, it is not the flux or the time derivative of the flux.

In the expression d/dt(μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra, you are taking the time derivative of μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra. What does μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra represent? Refer back to post #3.
Oh! The magnetic field created by the large coil. So I need to multiple in dA, which would be 2*pi*r to get flux. Then I can take the time derivative to get emf

Minescrushessouls said:
Oh! The magnetic field created by the large coil.
Is it the total magnetic field created by the large coil? Remember, the large coil has a certain number of turns.
So I need to multiple in dA, which would be 2*pi*r to get flux.
What does dA represent? The formula 2*pi*r gives you the circumference of a circle.

Then I can take the time derivative to get emf
Basically, yes. But don't forget that the small coil also has a certain number of turns.

Ok...

So would the correct equation be:
Na*Nb*pi*Ra^2*μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra

And then take the derivative with respect to time and plug in whatever value for t?

I think I understand the concept.

Minescrushessouls said:
Ok...

So would the correct equation be:
Na*Nb*pi*Ra^2*μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra
Sorry to be picky, but this is not an equation. It is an expression for something. Is it an expression for B? for flux? for emf?

In the expression, you have an area pi*Ra^2. This would be the area of the large coil. Is that the appropriate area to use?

You're getting close.

That's the expression for flux.

I would need to use the area of the small coil because that is what experiencing the induced emf.

So Na*Nb*pi*Rb^2*μ*5e^(-(t-6)/2))/2Ra is the flux, and the time derivative will be the induced emf in the small coil

That looks good.

Thank you so much for all your help!

OK, nice work. Welcome to PF.

1. How does the radius of the coils affect the EMF generated?

The radius of the coils has a direct impact on the strength of the EMF generated. As the radius increases, the number of magnetic field lines passing through the coils also increases, resulting in a higher EMF. Conversely, a smaller radius will result in a weaker EMF.

2. What is the relationship between the number of coils and the EMF produced?

The number of coils in a concentric coil setup also affects the EMF generated. Generally, the more coils there are, the stronger the EMF will be. This is because the magnetic field lines passing through the coils are amplified with each additional coil, resulting in a higher EMF.

3. How does the rate of change of flux affect the EMF in a concentric coil setup?

The rate of change of flux, or the speed at which the magnetic field lines are changing, directly affects the EMF generated in a concentric coil setup. The faster the rate of change, the stronger the EMF will be. This is due to the Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field.

4. How can the orientation of the coils affect the EMF generated?

The orientation of the coils in a concentric coil setup can greatly impact the EMF generated. If the coils are parallel to each other, the EMF will be stronger. However, if the coils are perpendicular, the EMF will be weaker. This is because the magnetic field lines are perpendicular to the coils, resulting in a smaller amount of flux passing through the coils.

5. What are some practical applications of concentric coil EMF?

Concentric coil EMF has a variety of practical applications, including in generators, transformers, and induction heating. In generators, concentric coils are used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. In transformers, they are used to step up or step down the voltage of an electrical current. In induction heating, concentric coils are used to generate heat in conductive materials through the use of induced currents.