Rotating Coil in Magnetic Field

In summary: So now I have dQ/dt * R = -d(flux)/dt, OK, but should the number of turns, N, appear somewhere here?No, N does not appear on the left side. It appears on the right side because the flux is changing with time. In summary, the magnetic field values are often determined by using a device known as a search coil. This technique depends on the measurement of the total charge passing through a coil in a time interval during which the magnetic flux linking the windings changes either because of the motion of the coil or because of a change in the value of B.
dukesolice

Homework Statement

[/B]
Magnetic field values are often determined by using a device known as a search coil. This technique depends on the measurement of the total charge passing through a coil in a time interval during which the magnetic flux linking the windings changes either because of the motion of the coil or because of a change in the value of B. As a specific example, calculate B when a 61-turn coil of resistance 194Ω and cross-sectional area 44.5m^2 produces the following results: A total charge of 4.76E-4C passes through the coil when it is rotated in a uniform field from a position where the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the field to a position where the coil's plane is parallel to the field.

Homework Equations

emf = -change in flux

The Attempt at a Solution

emf = -d/dt (integral of B dot dA)

The change in flux is from when the coil is perpendicular to the field to when the coil is parallel to the field. So 90 degrees. But I don't know how to get the change the in area, and how to use the charge and resistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
dukesolice said:
But I don't know how to get the change the in area, and how to use the charge and resistance.
The shape of the coil doesn't change as the coil rotates. So, the area of the coil remains constant.

You'll need to bring together several elementary concepts in this problem. How is charge related to current and time? How is current related to resistance and emf?

TSny said:
The shape of the coil doesn't change as the coil rotates. So, the area of the coil remains constant.

You'll need to bring together several elementary concepts in this problem. How is charge related to current and time? How is current related to resistance and emf?

Current is charge/time. Emf = current * resistance.

dukesolice said:
Current is charge/time. Emf = current * resistance.
OK. These relations along with Faraday's law give you everything you need.

Try combining them to get a relation between the total charge and the change of flux.

dukesolice said:

Homework Equations

emf = -change in flux
This is not correct. Faraday's law also involves time.

So now I have dQ/dt * R = -d(flux)/dt, so then I took integral of both sides and got NRQ = -BA, where N is number of coils, this gave me the wrong answer

dukesolice said:
So now I have dQ/dt * R = -d(flux)/dt,
OK, but should the number of turns, N, appear somewhere here?

so then I took integral of both sides and got NRQ = -BA, where N is number of coils, this gave me the wrong answer
Show the steps in getting to this result. Why does N appear on the left?

1. What is a rotating coil in a magnetic field?

A rotating coil in a magnetic field is a setup where a coil of wire is placed in a magnetic field and then rotated. This causes the coil to experience a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric current in the coil.

2. How does a rotating coil in a magnetic field work?

When a coil is rotated in a magnetic field, the magnetic flux passing through the coil changes, which induces an electric current in the coil according to Faraday's Law. This current can then be used to power electrical devices or measure the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What are the applications of a rotating coil in a magnetic field?

Rotating coils in magnetic fields are used in many devices, such as generators, motors, and transformers. They are also used in scientific experiments to measure the strength of magnetic fields or to study the effects of changing magnetic fields on electrical currents.

4. How is a rotating coil different from a stationary coil in a magnetic field?

A rotating coil experiences a changing magnetic field, while a stationary coil experiences a constant magnetic field. This causes a difference in the induced current and allows for the production of electricity in a rotating coil.

5. What factors affect the output of a rotating coil in a magnetic field?

The output of a rotating coil in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the number of turns in the coil. Additionally, the resistance of the wire and the angle of the coil with respect to the magnetic field can also impact the output.