1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual Misunderstanding in dealing with Heaviside Function

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi guys, so I'm struggling with understanding the heaviside function clearly. In particular, I am struggling to understand how changing f(t) to f(t-3) ''shifts'' everything to the right.

2. Relevant equations

Say we take the following heaviside function

f(t-3) = 7 for t >= 3
    f(t-3) = 0 for t < 0

We get a graph that loops something like this:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2830/q8e8.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

However, this doesn't make much intuitive sense to me. Say we are to plug in the value of t=3, then we should get at t=3, the value of f(0), but there has not been anything told to us about how the function behaves at f(0). Only that for values t>3, the value will be 7. So I don't really understand how this function is working.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is a basic property of functions in general, not just the Heaviside function. If you know what the graph of y = f(t) looks like, then the graph of y = f(t - 3) will be a shift (translation) to the right by 3 units of the graph of y = f(t).

Suppose y = g(t) = t2. The graph is a parabola with vertex at (0, 0) and opening upward. What does the graph of the new function y = g(t - 2) = (t - 2)2 look like?
    You've been told that if t ≥ 3, then t - 3 ≥ 0, so the output of your function is 7.
    The function definition says t ≥ 3, not t > 3.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted