Conceptual Misunderstanding in dealing with Heaviside Function

In summary: For t > 3, the output is still 7. In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle with understanding the Heaviside function and how changing the input variable shifts the graph to the right. The student is also confused about the function's behavior at certain points, but the function definition clarifies that the output is 7 for t ≥ 3 and t > 3. They also discuss a general property of functions where shifting the input variable results in a shift of the graph.
Kushwoho44

Homework Statement

Hi guys, so I'm struggling with understanding the heaviside function clearly. In particular, I am struggling to understand how changing f(t) to f(t-3) ''shifts'' everything to the right.

Homework Equations

Say we take the following heaviside function

f(t-3) = 7 for t >= 3
f(t-3) = 0 for t < 0

We get a graph that loops something like this:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2830/q8e8.png

The Attempt at a Solution

However, this doesn't make much intuitive sense to me. Say we are to plug in the value of t=3, then we should get at t=3, the value of f(0), but there has not been anything told to us about how the function behaves at f(0). Only that for values t>3, the value will be 7. So I don't really understand how this function is working.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kushwoho44 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys, so I'm struggling with understanding the heaviside function clearly. In particular, I am struggling to understand how changing f(t) to f(t-3) ''shifts'' everything to the right.
This is a basic property of functions in general, not just the Heaviside function. If you know what the graph of y = f(t) looks like, then the graph of y = f(t - 3) will be a shift (translation) to the right by 3 units of the graph of y = f(t).

Suppose y = g(t) = t2. The graph is a parabola with vertex at (0, 0) and opening upward. What does the graph of the new function y = g(t - 2) = (t - 2)2 look like?
Kushwoho44 said:

Homework Equations

Say we take the following heaviside function

f(t-3) = 7 for t >= 3
f(t-3) = 0 for t < 0

We get a graph that loops something like this:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2830/q8e8.png

The Attempt at a Solution

However, this doesn't make much intuitive sense to me. Say we are to plug in the value of t=3, then we should get at t=3, the value of f(0), but there has not been anything told to us about how the function behaves at f(0).
You've been told that if t ≥ 3, then t - 3 ≥ 0, so the output of your function is 7.
Kushwoho44 said:
Only that for values t>3, the value will be 7. So I don't really understand how this function is working.
The function definition says t ≥ 3, not t > 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Heaviside function?

A Heaviside function, also known as a unit step function, is a mathematical function that is equal to 0 for negative inputs and 1 for positive inputs.

2. What is conceptual misunderstanding in dealing with Heaviside functions?

Conceptual misunderstanding in dealing with Heaviside functions refers to the misinterpretation or incorrect application of the function in a given problem or scenario. This can lead to incorrect solutions or confusion about the behavior of the function.

3. What are some common misconceptions about Heaviside functions?

One common misconception is that the Heaviside function represents a physical process or event. In reality, it is simply a mathematical tool used to model certain phenomena. Another misconception is that the function is discontinuous, when in fact it is continuous everywhere except at the point where it equals 0 or 1.

4. How can conceptual misunderstanding in dealing with Heaviside functions be avoided?

To avoid conceptual misunderstanding, it is important to have a solid understanding of the properties and behavior of the Heaviside function. This includes understanding its definition, domain, and range, as well as its behavior at its discontinuity point. It is also important to carefully interpret and apply the function in the context of a given problem.

5. What are some real-world applications of Heaviside functions?

Heaviside functions have various applications in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the response of a circuit to a sudden change in voltage, or to represent a sudden increase or decrease in a quantity such as population or demand. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and wave propagation problems.