Conceptual problem invoving mirrors

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab involving the use of spherical mirrors to measure focal length and object distance. The task at hand is to devise a method for using a lens to calculate the height of a window. The suggested approach involves using the lens equation and possible magnification, as well as measuring the focal length and distance. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the geometry and properties of the mirror in order to come up with a suitable method. The speakers also mention that this is an exercise meant for the individual to come up with their own approach, with guidance from others.
Jpiverson23

Homework Statement

Ok so had a lab where we used spherical mirrors and got the focal length and object distance etc by just using a meter stick mirror and light. Pretty common basic physics experiment(I think). But I was asked How to devise a method for using the lens to calculate the height of one of the windows you can see outside. I have to explain the process in detail how I would do it. I am kind of stuck.

Homework Equations

lens equation
possible magnification but don't think

The Attempt at a Solution

well what i think is that would have to measure the focal length and get the distance first, then somehow use geometry angles to get the height of the structure, would probably need to know height of building in which you are measuring. Iam just not sure if you could explain to me a method it will help me out alot. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The window is the "object" ... you know how to relate the object height to the image height?
Think about what properties you can easily measure and try to sketch the situation out.
Unfortunately this is an exercize where you have to come up with the method - the point is for you to go through the process of discovering an approach you like so we are quite limited in how we can help you.

What you need to do is talk about how you understand the mirror and the geometry, we can tweak you back on track as your understanding wavers.

1. How do mirrors create reflections?

Mirrors are made of a smooth, highly reflective material such as glass or metal. When light hits the surface of the mirror, it bounces off at the same angle it hit the surface. This creates a reflection that we can see with our eyes.

2. Why do objects appear reversed in a mirror?

When light reflects off a mirror, it follows the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (incoming light) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing light). This means that the image we see in the mirror is a flipped version of the original object.

3. How does the distance between an object and a mirror affect the size of its reflection?

The distance between an object and a mirror does not affect the size of its reflection. However, the angle at which the light reflects off the mirror can make the object appear larger or smaller. The closer an object is to the mirror, the larger its reflection will appear.

4. Can mirrors create an infinite number of reflections?

Yes, mirrors can create an infinite number of reflections if they are placed parallel to each other in a line. This effect is called an "infinity mirror" and is used in various optical illusions and artistic displays.

5. How does the type of mirror affect the quality of the reflection?

The type of mirror can affect the quality of the reflection in terms of clarity and distortion. For example, a flat mirror will produce a clear and undistorted reflection, while a curved mirror may create a distorted or magnified reflection depending on its shape.