1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual problem invoving mirrors

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok so had a lab where we used spherical mirrors and got the focal length and object distance etc by just using a meter stick mirror and light. Pretty common basic physics experiment(I think). But I was asked How to devise a method for using the lens to calculate the height of one of the windows you can see outside. I have to explain the process in detail how I would do it. I am kind of stuck.

2. Relevant equations

lens equation
    possible magnification but dont think

3. The attempt at a solution

well what i think is that would have to measure the focal length and get the distance first, then somehow use geometry angles to get the height of the structure, would probably need to know height of building in which you are measuring. Iam just not sure if you could explain to me a method it will help me out alot. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    The window is the "object" ... you know how to relate the object height to the image height?
    Think about what properties you can easily measure and try to sketch the situation out.
    Unfortunately this is an exercize where you have to come up with the method - the point is for you to go through the process of discovering an approach you like so we are quite limited in how we can help you.

What you need to do is talk about how you understand the mirror and the geometry, we can tweak you back on track as your understanding wavers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted