Conceptual? question of direction/magnetic force of current in x-y plane

In summary, the problem involves three long wires with perpendicular currents passing through the x-y plane at a distance of L from the origin. An electron at the origin with a velocity along the positive x-axis will experience a magnetic force. The direction of this force can be found using the right-hand rule for both the magnetic field and the Lorenz force equation. The net charge on the wire is zero, and the direction of the force is out of the page (toward the positive z-axis).
rfig08d

Homework Statement

3 long wires are perpendicular
efqiow.jpg
Each passes through x-y plane with a distance of L from origin. Each wire has a current, I, directed out of the drawing's plane. An electron is located a the origin with a velocity along the positive x-axis. What is the direction of the magnetic force on the electron?

Homework Equations

From what I know F = (4pix10^-7)I/(2*pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a loss for this... but my thoughts on this are: Would each current (I1, I2, I3) have a negative charge and repel the electron out of the plane towards the negative x-axis?

The answer states that it is "out of the page (ie: graph)" and my understanding makes sense, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
rfig08d said:
From what I know F = (4pix10^-7)I/(2*pi*r)
Nooo, that's the magnetic field strength, not the force! :smile:

For a straight, long wire (not within in a magnetic material),
B = μ0I/(2πr)​
Use the right-hand rule to find the direction of the vector B.

Then use the Lorenz force equation (with E = 0) to find the force (which also might involve using the right-hand-rule).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a loss for this... but my thoughts on this are: Would each current (I1, I2, I3) have a negative charge and repel the electron out of the plane towards the negative x-axis?
No, there is no net charge on the wire*. For every negative electron in the wire, there is also a positive proton in the wire. The net charge, and thus net electric field, is zero. For this problem you need to deal with magnetic fields, not electric fields.

*I'm intentionally leaving concepts of special relativity out of this conversation. they're not necessary to solve this problem
The answer states that it is "out of the page (ie: graph)"
Yes, out of the page is correct (not toward the negative x-axis). Out of the page meaning toward the positive z-axis.

Related to Conceptual? question of direction/magnetic force of current in x-y plane

1. What is meant by "conceptual" in relation to the direction/magnetic force of current in the x-y plane?

In this context, "conceptual" refers to the abstract or theoretical understanding of the direction and magnetic force of current in the x-y plane, rather than specific calculations or applications.

2. How is the direction of current in the x-y plane determined?

The direction of current in the x-y plane is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current flow and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetic force of current in the x-y plane?

The magnetic force of current in the x-y plane is affected by the strength of the current, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

4. Can the direction/magnetic force of current in the x-y plane be changed?

Yes, the direction/magnetic force of current in the x-y plane can be changed by altering the direction or strength of the current or by changing the orientation or strength of the magnetic field.

5. How is the concept of current direction/magnetic force in the x-y plane applied in real-world situations?

The concept of current direction/magnetic force in the x-y plane is applied in many real-world situations, such as in electromagnets, motors, and generators. Understanding the direction and force of current in the x-y plane is crucial for designing and operating these devices effectively.