Concerting 0.1" pitch header pins to 0.150"

• Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pitch
In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made on a PCB with through holes spaced 0.150" apart, while the desired component has a pin-pin spacing of 0.1". The person is looking for a simple adapter to avoid the time-consuming task of running individual wires. Suggestions are made for using wire wrap sockets for small quantities or creating a small adapter for larger quantities. Another idea is to use a perforated veroboard cut into triangles to create an 0.1" to 0.15" diagonal pitch converter. The conversation also mentions mounting the IC at an angle of 42°, and rotating it on the PCB.
teroenza
I made a mistake on a PCB I designed, and have a set of through holes that are spaced 0.150" apart, when the component I want to put into it has a pin-pin spacing of 0.1". Does anyone know of a simple adapter that could go between these two sizes? I'm looking to avoid the time consuming task of running 16 individual wires.

I looked around on Digkey, and couldn't see anything for this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is not a common transform. How many rows and pins on the device.
For small quantities: Wire wrap sockets are still available. Splay the pins.
For large quantities: Make a small adapter for the IC to the PCB.

Alternatively; Cut a rectangle of perforated veroboard with 0.1” pitch strips.
The number of strips width will fit the 0.1” IC, the length of the rectangle being 1.118 times longer.
Cut the rectangle into two triangles and you have an 0.1” to 0.15” diagonal pitch converter.
The right angle triangle adapter will naturally have an angle of 42°, being the answer to the universe and everything.
You can mount the IC at that angle off the PCB or rotate it by that angle on the plane of the PCB.

Likes jim hardy
Thanks for the sugestions. It is two rows of 8 pins. I like your veroboard trick.

What is the difference between 0.1" pitch header pins and 0.150" pitch header pins?

The pitch of a header pin refers to the distance between each individual pin on the header. 0.1" pitch means that the pins are spaced 0.1 inches apart, while 0.150" pitch means that the pins are spaced 0.150 inches apart. This may seem like a small difference, but it can have a significant impact on the size and spacing of components on a circuit board.

Can I use 0.1" pitch header pins in place of 0.150" pitch header pins?

In most cases, it is not recommended to substitute 0.1" pitch header pins for 0.150" pitch header pins or vice versa. This is because the spacing between the pins is different, which can lead to compatibility issues with other components on the circuit board. It is best to use the correct pitch for your specific project to ensure proper functionality.

What are the advantages of using 0.1" pitch header pins?

0.1" pitch header pins are more commonly used and readily available, making them a popular choice for many projects. They also allow for tighter spacing between components, which can be beneficial for smaller circuit boards. Additionally, 0.1" pitch header pins are often less expensive than 0.150" pitch header pins.

Are there any disadvantages to using 0.1" pitch header pins?

One potential disadvantage of using 0.1" pitch header pins is that they may not be suitable for high-density circuit boards. If your project requires a large number of components, the smaller spacing between pins may make it difficult to fit everything onto the board. In this case, using 0.150" pitch header pins may be a better option.

How do I convert 0.1" pitch header pins to 0.150" pitch header pins?

If you need to convert 0.1" pitch header pins to 0.150" pitch header pins, you will likely need to purchase new pins with the desired pitch. This can involve desoldering the existing pins and replacing them with the new ones. It is important to carefully research and plan the conversion process to ensure compatibility and proper functionality of your circuit board.