Conduction with thermal energy generation

In summary, the person is struggling with a homework problem and has followed the steps in the solution manual but is still getting the wrong answer. They are unsure of what they are doing wrong and are seeking help from others.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am wrong in my attempt, yet I can't figure out the reason why...
View attachment 230978

Homework Equations

View attachment 230979
(solution with h=250 W/m^2*K instead of 350 W/m^2*K)

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 231065
This is how I obtain the answers, which I checked all the calculations and I don't think there is numerical problem. I followed the steps in the solution manual, yet I am wrong and I don't know why.

Can anyone see anything going wrong here?
thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rules say that images should not be used in place of text. They can be hard to read for people using phones to access PF, but your images are pretty clear, so we'll allow them.

When you compose a new post, a button "LateX" at the lower left allows you to enter math directly.

1. What is conduction with thermal energy generation?

Conduction with thermal energy generation is the transfer of heat through a material or substance due to a temperature difference. This process occurs when there is a flow of thermal energy from a warmer object to a cooler one.

2. How does conduction with thermal energy generation work?

In conduction with thermal energy generation, heat is transferred through direct contact between two objects or substances. The particles in the warmer object have higher kinetic energy and vibrate at a faster rate, causing them to collide with the particles in the cooler object and transfer some of their energy.

3. What factors affect conduction with thermal energy generation?

The rate of conduction with thermal energy generation is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the objects, the distance between them, the thermal conductivity of the material, and the surface area of contact.

4. How is conduction with thermal energy generation different from convection and radiation?

Conduction with thermal energy generation differs from convection and radiation in that it requires direct contact between objects for heat transfer to occur. In convection, heat is transferred through the movement of fluids or gases, while in radiation, heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

5. What are some real-life examples of conduction with thermal energy generation?

Some examples of conduction with thermal energy generation include a pot of water being heated on a stove, a person's hand getting warm when holding a hot cup of coffee, and the transfer of heat through the metal bars of a grill when cooking food.