Finding Confidence Intervals for Unknown Parameters in a Normal Distribution

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    intervals
In summary: This means that if you want to calculate a 95% confidence interval for σ2, you need to use the following equation: P[(n-1)S^2/\sigma^2 < b] = 0.975.
Artusartos
Let X1, X2, ... , Xn be a random sample from [tex]N(\mu, \sigma^2)[/tex], where both parameters [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]\sigma^2[/tex] are unknown. A confidence interval for [tex]\sigma^2[/tex] can be found as follows. We know that [tex](n-1)S^2/\sigma^2[/tex] is a random varible with [tex]X^2(n-1)[/tex] distribution. Thus we can find constants a and b so that [tex]P((n-1)S^2/\sigma^2 < b) = 0.975[/tex] and [tex]P(a< (n-1)S^2/\sigma^2 < b)=0.95[/tex].

a) Show that this second probability statement can be written as

[tex]P((n-1)S^2/b < \sigma^2 < (n-1)S^2/a) = 0.95[/tex].

I could do this by flipping all of them, changing the signs...and then mulitplying all of them by (n-1)S^2.

b) If n=9 adn s^2 = 7.93, find a 95% confidence interval for [tex]\sigma^2[/tex].

Here, I just substitute n=9 and s^2=7.93 to the formula, right?

c) If [tex]\mu[/tex] is known, how would you modify the preceding procedure for finding a confidence interval for [tex]\sigma^2[/tex].

I am confused with this one...so can anybody give me a hint or something?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The n-1 in the equations comes from the fact that μ is unknown, and so is estimated from the same data used to estimate σ. If μ is known it becomes n instead. Whether that also changes it from chi-square I'm not certain, but I wouldn't think so.

haruspex said:
The n-1 in the equations comes from the fact that μ is unknown, and so is estimated from the same data used to estimate σ. If μ is known it becomes n instead. Whether that also changes it from chi-square I'm not certain, but I wouldn't think so.

Thanks...

Can you explain why the n-1 comes from the fact that mu is unkown...and why it would be different if we knew what mu was?

Artusartos said:
Can you explain why the n-1 comes from the fact that mu is unkown...and why it would be different if we knew what mu was?
If you take a sample from a population, its mean is not likely to be exactly the same as the mean of the population. If you estimate the variance by taking the differences between the sample values and the mean of the sample then you are likely to be underestimating the variance of the population. It turns out that it tends to underestimate σ2 in the ratio (n-1)/n. That's why you divide by n-1 instead of n when calculating [itex]\hat{σ}^2[/itex] as an estimate of the variance of the population.
Similarly, when you look at the distribution of the estimator [itex]\hat{σ}^2[/itex], it is chi-square with n-1 degrees of freedom. This is because one degree of freedom of the data has been lost by subtracting off the mean of the data. If you know the mean you don't lose that degree of freedom.

haruspex said:
If you take a sample from a population, its mean is not likely to be exactly the same as the mean of the population. If you estimate the variance by taking the differences between the sample values and the mean of the sample then you are likely to be underestimating the variance of the population. It turns out that it tends to underestimate σ2 in the ratio (n-1)/n. That's why you divide by n-1 instead of n when calculating [itex]\hat{σ}^2[/itex] as an estimate of the variance of the population.
Similarly, when you look at the distribution of the estimator [itex]\hat{σ}^2[/itex], it is chi-square with n-1 degrees of freedom. This is because one degree of freedom of the data has been lost by subtracting off the mean of the data. If you know the mean you don't lose that degree of freedom.

Thank you so much...but how would I know that "it tends to underestimate σ2 in the ratio (n-1)/n"?

Artusartos said:
how would I know that "it tends to underestimate σ2 in the ratio (n-1)/n"?
This can be figured out from first principles. If you assume a population has variance σ2, and propose taking a sample size N and calculating [itex]s = \frac{1}{N}\sum{X_i^2}-\left(\frac{1}{N}\sum{X_i}\right)^2[/itex], then you can calculate that E = (1-1/N)σ2.

What is a confidence interval?

A confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to contain the true population parameter with a certain degree of confidence. It is based on a sample of data and is used to estimate the true value of a population parameter.

How is a confidence interval calculated?

A confidence interval is calculated using the sample mean, standard deviation, and the desired level of confidence. The formula for calculating a confidence interval is: sample mean +/- (critical value)(standard deviation)/square root of sample size.

What is the purpose of a confidence interval?

The purpose of a confidence interval is to estimate the true value of a population parameter using a sample of data. It also allows us to determine the precision of our estimate and the level of confidence we have in our results.

What is the relationship between sample size and confidence interval?

As the sample size increases, the confidence interval becomes narrower. This is because a larger sample size provides more precise estimates and reduces the margin of error.

How do you interpret a confidence interval?

A confidence interval can be interpreted as the range of values within which we are confident the true population parameter lies. For example, a 95% confidence interval of 50-60 for the average height of adults means that we are 95% confident that the true average height of all adults falls within this range.