Confirm limit of this sequence by using definition of limit

In summary: No, it's not more strict than necessary. The definition of limit just says that N must be a real number, and that's all that's required.
s3a

Homework Statement

I'm referring to the question and solution for part (b) in the attached TheProblemAndSolution.jpg file.

Homework Equations

Definition of limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Should the equation with the two things in brackets have absolute value bars instead of brackets?

Also, according to this Wikipedia link ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence#Formal_Definition ), N should be a natural number and ϵ should be a real number but the solution in my book gives N as a function of ϵ, which means that it could be the case that N is also real and non-natural (such as an irrational number for example). Is there a contradiction here, or is there something I'm missing?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Attachments

• TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:
Should the equation with the two things in brackets have absolute value bars instead of brackets?
Yes.

Also, according to this Wikipedia link ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence#Formal_Definition ), N should be a natural number and ϵ should be a real number but the solution in my book gives N as a function of ϵ, which means that it could be the case that N is also real and non-natural (such as an irrational number for example). Is there a contradiction here, or is there something I'm missing?
You can simply round up. If something is true for all n larger than 245.3, then it is also true for all n larger than 246.

Yes.
Thanks for confirming.

You can simply round up. If something is true for all n larger than 245.3, then it is also true for all n larger than 246.
Thanks for this answer too, but there is a bit more I need to understand.

Is it more strict than neccesary (for that Wikipedia link I gave) to require that n and N be natural numbers?

Shouldn't N be allowed to be any real number, and shouldn't n be allowed to be any integer (including negative ones)?

Sorry, I double-posted.

Actually, I have a feeling it just doesn't matter if N is a natural number or not, but I wanted to know if there are varying definitions (among different textbooks and websites, etc), or if every or most sources have the definition that the Wikipedia link uses.

Okay, so, if anyone else cares, I got the answer to my problem.:

Since there is no regulatory body for standardizing definitions in mathematics, not all definitions of the limit of a sequence are exactly the same, but they are all largely similar, so in the case of the problem in this thread, I could use the definition where N is a real number (instead of rounding up to the nearest natural number).

Also, apparently, indices for terms of sequences are always natural numbers.

Also, thanks, mfb.

There's nothing wrong with a definition that says that N is a positive real number, but it's a bit weird. What the standard definition of the limit of a sequence tells you is this: A real number x is a limit of a sequence S if and only if every open interval centered at x contains all but a finite number of terms of the sequence. The ##\varepsilon##-N statement of the definition is just a way to rephrase that in a way that makes it perfectly clear what "all but a finite number" means. So when you want to prove that ##x_n\to x##, the idea is to identify a specific term ##x_N## such that it, and all subsequent terms, are in the given interval.

N must depend on ##\varepsilon##, because ##\varepsilon## tells you the size of the interval. For example, consider the sequence 1/n and an open interval centered at 0. The smaller the interval, the further you have to go into the sequence to find a term such that all subsequent terms are also in that interval.

Yes, the indices are always integers, in the sense that if they're not, we would call it a "net" instead of a "sequence". A sequence can be defined as a function from the set of natural numbers into some other set. A net is defined as a function from a directed set into some other set. You don't have to learn about nets or directed sets in this course. I just thought it might be interesting to know.

1. What is the definition of a limit for a sequence?

The definition of a limit for a sequence is the concept of a sequence approaching a certain value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, the limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence are approaching as the index of the terms increases towards infinity.

2. How do you confirm the limit of a sequence using the definition?

To confirm the limit of a sequence using the definition, you must show that for any given positive number, there exists a point in the sequence beyond which all terms are within that positive number distance from the limit. This can be done by manipulating the terms of the sequence algebraically or graphically.

3. Can you give an example of a sequence and how to confirm its limit using the definition?

Yes, consider the sequence a_n = 1/n. To confirm its limit using the definition, we choose any positive number, let's say epsilon = 0.1. Then, we can find a point in the sequence, say n = 10, where all terms beyond that point (i.e. for n > 10) are within 0.1 distance from the limit 0. This can be shown algebraically by rewriting the sequence as 1/n = 1/10 * 1/(n/10), and noting that for n > 10, 1/(n/10) is always less than 1/10.

4. What is the importance of confirming the limit of a sequence using the definition?

Confirming the limit of a sequence using the definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way of determining the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases. It allows us to make accurate predictions and analyze the convergence or divergence of a sequence.

5. Are there any other methods for confirming the limit of a sequence besides using the definition?

Yes, there are other methods for confirming the limit of a sequence, such as using the squeeze theorem or the ratio test. These methods may be more efficient or easier to use in certain situations, but they all ultimately rely on the definition of a limit for a sequence.