Confirm that e^2 x coulomb's constant=1

• Thread starter yungwun22
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about a homework problem that involves using Coulomb's constant and the elementary charge. The original poster is unsure of how to approach the problem and is struggling to get the correct answer. Another user suggests using the correct values for the constants and the fact that e is the elementary charge. The conversation ends with the realization that the equation e^2 * kappa does not equal 1.
yungwun22

Homework Statement

I'm not really sure how to go about this

Homework Equations

whenever I plug in the correct values I don't get 1. Unless I'm supposed to use au.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
yungwun22 said:

Homework Statement

I'm not really sure how to go about this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what is Coulomb's constant?

Am I correct in assuming that e is the elementary charge?

it's 1/(4*pi*episolon naught) where episolon naught is 8.85 x 10^-12 F/m. yes, e is the elementary charge.

yungwun22 said:
it's 1/(4*pi*episolon naught) where episolon naught is 8.85 x 10^-12 F/m. yes, e is the elementary charge.
Then there is nothing left to do since as you have now pointed out in your edited opening post, it is clear that

[tex]e^2 \cdot\kappa \neq 1[/tex]

FAQ: Confirm that e^2 x coulomb's constant=1

1. What is e?

e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. It is also known as the base of the natural logarithm.

2. What is Coulomb's constant?

Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a proportionality constant in the Coulomb's law equation which describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. Its value is approximately 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

3. How is e^2 related to Coulomb's constant?

The relationship between e^2 and Coulomb's constant is that they are both used in the calculation of the electrostatic force between two charged particles. Specifically, the product of e^2 and Coulomb's constant results in 1, as represented by the equation e^2 x k = 1.

4. Why is e^2 often used in equations involving Coulomb's constant?

e^2 is often used in equations involving Coulomb's constant because it simplifies the calculations and allows for a more concise representation of the relationship between the variables. It also helps to relate the natural logarithmic scale to the electrostatic force scale.

5. How is Coulomb's constant related to the permittivity of free space?

Coulomb's constant is related to the permittivity of free space, denoted by ε0, by the equation k = 1/(4πε0). This relationship allows for the conversion between the units of Coulomb's constant and the permittivity of free space.

Back