Exploring Infinity in Computer Mapping: A Problem

In summary, the issue of infinity or undefinedness arises in problems involving mapping under the function ln(z). This function is defined as a continuous map from a half-disk to the Riemann sphere, with a removable discontinuity at the origin. It is often helpful to think of the Riemann sphere rather than the complex plane when dealing with this function.
mattmns
This issue of infinity (undefined?) keeps coming up in the following problems.

For example, the following question:

Computer the image of the sector [itex]0 \leq r \leq 1, 0 \leq \theta \leq \pi[/itex], under the map ln(z).
-------------

So I first graphed this thing in the x,y (z-plane) and obviously we get a half circle with radius 1, above/including x-axis.

Then I looked at the following points. A=0, B=1, C=i, D=-1. Then if we map them under [itex]w= ln(z)[/itex] we get,
A' = w(A)= ln(A) = ln(0) = ?
B' = ln(1) = 0
C' = ln(i) = [tex]i \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
D' = ln(-1) = [tex]i \pi[/tex]

If we then look at each segment, and map them under w, well I know what to do with everything but the parts that involve, or go though A. But the whole infinity, or undefined, issue bugs me.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer:

The map

[tex]
f(z) := \begin{cases}
\ln z & z \neq 0 \\
\infty & z = 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

is a continuous map from your half-disk to the Riemann sphere. It's probably even complex-analytic.

Long answer:

It's sort of like the function

[tex]f(x) = \frac{x}{x}[/tex]

It's not defined at x = 0, but that's more of a technicality rather than an important property of the function.

In many geometric contexts, we will (implicitly) continuously extend our functions so that they will be defined at such removable discontinuities.

It's often fruitful to think not of the complex plane, but instead to think of the Riemann sphere. So what you really want to do is to consider your map as a map from the half-disk into the Riemann sphere. Your map has a removable discontinuity at the origin, so it's fruitful to work with its continuous extension instead.

Have you tried looking at more points at some radius between 1 and 0 on that semicircle? Looking at 0+0i was probably just a bad choice.

1. What is the purpose of exploring infinity in computer mapping?

The purpose of exploring infinity in computer mapping is to push the boundaries of traditional mapping techniques and create more accurate and comprehensive maps. By incorporating the concept of infinity, we can account for the ever-changing and complex nature of our physical world.

2. How does infinity play a role in computer mapping?

Infinity plays a role in computer mapping by allowing for the representation of infinite possibilities and variations in mapping data. This includes accounting for constantly changing landscapes, dynamic weather patterns, and other variables that traditional mapping methods may not be able to accurately capture.

3. What challenges are faced when incorporating infinity into computer mapping?

One of the main challenges is the sheer amount of data and complexity involved in representing infinity in computer mapping. Additionally, determining how to accurately and effectively interpret and visualize this data can be a major hurdle.

4. How can exploring infinity in computer mapping benefit society?

Exploring infinity in computer mapping can benefit society by providing more accurate and detailed maps for a variety of purposes, such as urban planning, disaster management, and environmental conservation. It can also aid in predicting and preparing for potential changes in our physical world.

5. What advancements have been made in the field of exploring infinity in computer mapping?

There have been significant advancements in the use of advanced technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, to better incorporate and interpret infinite data in computer mapping. Additionally, there have been developments in algorithms and techniques for handling and visualizing large and complex datasets.