Conformal Transformation for Perpendicular Charged Sheets

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for solving problems involving parallel sheets of conductors, including finite, semi-infinite, and infinite sheets. The focus is on finding a conformal transformation for perpendicular sheets in order to calculate electrostatic potential and charge density more easily. The suggestion to use an image charge is mentioned, but deemed not applicable due to the lack of symmetry in this case. The possibility of representing the line of charge as a sum of infinite point charges is also brought up.
Morto
sheet.JPG

So, I've solved many problems involving parallel sheets of conductors (finite, semi-infinite, and infinite) and also finite sheets at a given angle to each other. I can post the results to these if it may be useful, but I'm more interested in sheets that are perpendicular.

Consider a semi-infinite sheet at
[tex]
a\leq x < \infty , y = 0
[/tex]
and a perpenciular sheet
[tex]
-\infty < y < \infty , x = 0
[/tex]

I'm struggling to find a conformal transformation that will map this problem onto some region (like two infinite parallel lines), from which I can more easily calculate the electrostatic potential and charge density on both sheets.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• sheet.bmp
    205.8 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
You ought to use an image charge, also known as the method of images.

How? That works with the symmetry of parallell plates, but there is no such symmetry here.

Can I consider the line of charge as a sum over an infinite number of point charges?

Related to Conformal Transformation for Perpendicular Charged Sheets

What are perpendicular charged sheets?

Perpendicular charged sheets refer to two or more parallel sheets of charge that are placed facing each other at a right angle.

What is the electric field between perpendicular charged sheets?

The electric field between perpendicular charged sheets is zero, as the field from one sheet cancels out the field from the other sheet.

How do perpendicular charged sheets affect the electric potential?

Perpendicular charged sheets do not affect the electric potential, as the potential is only dependent on the distance from a single sheet of charge.

What is the net electric flux through a Gaussian surface enclosing perpendicular charged sheets?

The net electric flux through a Gaussian surface enclosing perpendicular charged sheets is zero, as the electric field is perpendicular to the surface and its magnitude is equal on both sides of the surface.

Can perpendicular charged sheets be used to create a uniform electric field?

Yes, perpendicular charged sheets can be used to create a uniform electric field between them, as the field is constant and has the same magnitude and direction at all points between the sheets.