Is Diffusion the Answer? Understanding Gas Density Change in an Open Box

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving diffusion in a divided box with a gas at concentration n0 on one side and vacuum on the other. The main question is whether it is a diffusion problem or a simple flow problem. The solution involves using Fick's law and the diffusion equation, with initial and boundary conditions. The reference provided may be helpful for further understanding.
DonnerJack
Hi all,

I'm abit confused about diffusion - I can't seem to understand how to translate the question at hand to equation (from there it is only math...).

I have a box with a gas at concentration n0 in it, which is divided from the rest of the box where you have vacuum (for simplicity, the left half part of the box is filled with a classical gas, and the right half is vaccum).

Now, the barrier is taken out of the box - I need to solve the density of the gas (dependant on time).

The main problem here, is why is it diffusion? The prof. said it's a diffusion problem, but won't the mean-free-path be smaller than the side of the box? therefore it's a simple flow?

furthermore, when I tried to solve it I got to the point where I can't seem to write the boundry/starting conditions!

1. it's not and impulse problem
2. it's not a constant/infinite source of particles/heat.

How can I treat something like a H function? (because the particles in the beginning end with the barrier)

Any help will be appreciated (Mind you - I don't want the whole solution! I need help stating the boundry condition in mathematical form).

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you have stated the problem it is not diffusion. Have you left out some details?

Nope

Didn't left anything out.

That's how the Q was stated.

IF I consider the gas to be highly dilute - would it be diffusion, or should I consider the other limit?

Perhaps there is gas in both parts of the box but you have a second component of some other gas in one part?

DonnerJack said:
(snip)IF I consider the gas to be highly dilute - would it be diffusion, or should I consider the other limit?

If you pick a concentration that puts you into the molecular flow regime, yeah, you can sort of call it diffusion --- no intermolecular collisions, so you'll be looking at concentration as a function of time and location in the box after you open the gate.

But...

1. Nope. only vacuum in the other part of the box.
2. OK. if I consider what you said (molecular flow) - how do I state the boundry conditions? I can't seem to understand how to make that step. after I have the conditions it's either I know by heart how to solve the diff. eq. or I would go and look in the books...

I can think of a Theta function ( due to concentration in one part of the box) but I can't really work with that.

any suggestions?

What do you know about the system at t0 and at t = infinity?

I know that n(t=0)=Tetha(-x)*n0 (the half of the box is chosen to be x=0) and n(t=inf)=Const. in the whole box.

"... left half part of the box is filled with a classical gas, and the right half is vaccum..."

Density is low enough (assumed molecular flow regime) that you're looking at free expansion of an ideal gas, tells you all about P, T.

Treating this as a diffusion problem, I believe one applies Fick's law at the boundary - The current J = [itex]-D\frac{d\,n}{d\,x}[/itex]

The diffusion equation then can be written as [itex]\frac{\partial{n}}{\partial{t}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial^2{n}}{\partial{x}^2}[/itex]

Intially the current out of the gas. i.e. from gas to vacuum is some initial value, but the current from vacuum to gas is zero.

At a fixed boundary [itex]\frac{\partial{n}}{\partial{x}}[/itex]=0, because locally the density does not change spatially, i.e. there is not diffusion across a fixed boundary.

This is similar to neutron diffusion.

For a reference, try - http://www.timedomaincvd.com/CVD_Fundamentals/xprt/intro_diffusion.html

Last edited:

1. What is diffusion?

Diffusion is the process by which molecules move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. This movement occurs spontaneously and is driven by the random motion of molecules.

2. How does diffusion occur?

Diffusion occurs through a concentration gradient, which is the difference in concentration between two areas. Molecules will naturally move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration until the concentration becomes equal.

3. What factors affect the rate of diffusion?

The rate of diffusion is affected by temperature, molecular size, and the concentration gradient. Higher temperatures, smaller molecules, and larger concentration gradients will result in faster diffusion.

4. What are some real-life examples of diffusion?

Diffusion is a common process in everyday life. It is responsible for the spread of scent, the mixing of food coloring in water, and the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide in our lungs.

5. How is diffusion related to osmosis?

Osmosis is a specific type of diffusion that occurs across a semi-permeable membrane. In osmosis, water molecules move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration, through the membrane, in order to equalize the concentration on both sides.