Confused about inductor polarity

In summary, initially S1 and S4 were closed and current was flowing through D1 and D2. After some time, S1 and S4 were open and the current flowed through D3 and D4. The polarity of the inductor does not matter and it can reverse depending on the direction of current flow. The equation e = L di/dt states that the polarity across an inductor will reverse when the current changes from increasing to decreasing. So saying that the current flows through D1 and D4 instead of D3 and D2 would not be wrong, but it may not follow the standard convention.
TheRedDevil18
5fzax.png

So initially S1 and S4 are closed and current flows as seen above.

rPqAW.png

After some time S1 and S4 are open and current flows as seen above. Now I am confused about the polarity of the inductor, what if I said the current flows through D1 and D4 instead of D3 and D2 ?, would that be wrong ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Inductors do not HAVE a polarity

TheRedDevil18 said:
if I said the current flows through D1 and D4 instead of D3 and D2 ?, would that be wrong ?
wouldn't that be wrong way through the diodes ?

remember e = L di/dt . That says Polarirty across an inductor reverses when you go from increasing current to decreasing current

1. What is an inductor and why is polarity important?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. Polarity refers to the direction of the current flow in an inductor. It is important because it affects the behavior and performance of the inductor in a circuit.

2. How do I determine the polarity of an inductor?

The polarity of an inductor can be determined by looking at the direction of the winding. The end of the inductor where the winding starts is the positive terminal, and the end where it ends is the negative terminal.

3. What happens if I connect an inductor with the wrong polarity?

If you connect an inductor with the wrong polarity, it can affect the performance of the circuit. The inductor may not function properly, and it could also potentially damage other components in the circuit.

4. Can the polarity of an inductor be reversed?

Yes, the polarity of an inductor can be reversed by swapping the connections of the inductor in a circuit. However, it is important to make sure that the polarity is correct before connecting the inductor to avoid any potential issues.

5. Are there any tools or methods to help determine the polarity of an inductor?

One method is to use a multimeter to measure the voltage drop across the inductor. The positive terminal of the multimeter should be connected to the positive terminal of the inductor, and the negative terminal to the negative terminal. If the reading is positive, the polarity is correct. Another tool is a polarized inductor, which has markings on the casing to indicate the polarity.