Confused on how to set up my S and S' frames for Lorentz Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of an observer and the time between two flashes of light as seen by the moving observer. The hint given is to use Lorentz Transformations. The conversation also mentions uncertainty regarding the movement of the observer and the S' frame. However, it is suggested that the Lorentz transformation connecting the two frames can be deduced from the fact that both lights flash at the same x-location in the primed coordinate system. It is advised to not use the velocity-addition formula and to consider the primed frame as the rest frame of the observer.
cubano07
1. The question states: "Two lights are placed along the x-axis at positions x1 = 3.00 m and x2 = 5.00 m. The lights flash at times t1 = 1.00 ns and t2 = 9.00 ns. An observer in a rest frame moving to the right sees the lights flash in the same location. Assume that the origins of the two rest frames coincide at t = t' = 0.

a) Find the speed of the observer.

b) Find the time between the flashes as seen by the moving observer.2. It says that as a hint, to think Lorentz Transformations.3. Here is where I am stuck, I have no idea how to even begin it, since I do not know whether the observer and the S' frame are both moving together, and since Ux' = Ux - v/(1-Uxv/c2) would be the speed of the observer, I do not know what Ux or v could be.

I have also tried applying a Lorentz transformation on the x positions and times and such, but my gut tells me that's dead wrong anyway. If anyone can help shine some light on this situation (pardon the pun) it would really help me a lot. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If both lights are supposed to flash at the same x-location in the primed coordinate system, can't you use that to deduce something about the Lorentz transformation that connects the two frames?

You're making it too complicated. There's no need for the velocity-addition formula. The rest frame of the observer is the primed frame.

1. How do I know which frame is S and which is S'?

In the context of Lorentz Transformation, S refers to the stationary frame and S' refers to the moving frame. Typically, the frame that is at rest is considered to be S, while the frame that is in motion is considered to be S'.

2. What is the purpose of setting up the S and S' frames for Lorentz Transformation?

The S and S' frames are used to understand the relationship between space and time in different reference frames. This is essential in understanding special relativity and how objects behave at high speeds.

3. How do I set up the S and S' frames for Lorentz Transformation?

To set up the S and S' frames, you will need to determine the relative velocity between the two frames and the direction of motion. This will help you determine the Lorentz transformation equations needed to convert between the two frames.

4. What is the difference between Lorentz Transformation in 2D and 3D?

The main difference between Lorentz Transformation in 2D and 3D is the number of dimensions being considered. In 2D, there are only two dimensions, usually x and t, while in 3D, there are three dimensions, x, y, and z. This means that the Lorentz transformation equations will have more terms in 3D compared to 2D.

5. Can I use Lorentz Transformation for non-inertial frames?

No, Lorentz Transformation is only valid for inertial frames, which are frames that are not accelerating or rotating. For non-inertial frames, other techniques such as general relativity may be used.