How do I properly convert from km/h to m/s?

• Thread starter menco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, when converting from km/h to m/s, you can use the formula: km/h * (1000m/1km) * (1h/3600s) = m/s. To get the desired units, you can use the technique of "multiplying by one" by setting up ratios equal to one and multiplying as many times as needed.
menco

Homework Statement

I am confusing myself when converting from km/h to m/s

I understand that if you have 100km/h you take 100 * 1000 / 3600 = 27.78m/s

But where i get confused is if you have 1km and you want meters you *1000 but if you have 1hr and you want seconds you also have to *3600 (not divide)

I'm sure I'm just looking at it the wrong way can someone explain it better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think: you travel 100 km in a hour: it is 100*1000 =100000 m in a hour.
How far do you get in 1 s? Is it longer or shorter time then one hour? Is the distance traveled longer or shorter? There is 3600 s in a hour. The second is 1/3600-th of an hour. So the distance traveled in 1 s is ?...

ehild

One technique that I've found helps students get these problems right is to "multiply by one". In any expression, you can multiply it by one as many times as you want without changing it. So you set up ratios which are equal to one and multiply by as many of them as you need to get the units you want, as follows:

[tex]100 \frac{km}{hr} * \frac{1000 m}{1km} * \frac{1 hr}{3600 sec} = 27.7 \frac{m}{sec}[/tex]

Then you cancel out the units to get what you want. You can do this as many times as you need. For example if you want cm/sec, you can do this:

[tex]100\frac{km}{hr}*\frac{1000 m}{1km}*\frac{100 cm}{1 m}*\frac{1 hr}{3600 sec} = 2770 \frac{cm}{sec}[/tex]

Hope this helps.

menco said:
But where i get confused is if you have 1km and you want meters you *1000 but if you have 1hr and you want seconds you also have to *3600 (not divide)

That's because you multiply a value in the denominator. In other words, value/h = value/((h*3600)s)

I completely understand your confusion with converting from km/h to m/s. It can be a bit tricky at first, but with practice, it will become second nature. To help clarify, let's break down the conversion process step by step.

First, it's important to remember that km/h and m/s are both units of speed. Km/h stands for kilometers per hour, while m/s stands for meters per second. The key difference between the two is the unit of distance (km vs m) and the unit of time (hour vs second).

When converting from km/h to m/s, we need to take into account the different units of distance and time. As you correctly stated, if we have 100km/h, we can convert it to m/s by multiplying 100 by 1000 (to convert from km to m) and then dividing by 3600 (to convert from hours to seconds). This gives us a final answer of 27.78m/s.

Now let's look at your example of 1km. If we want to convert this to meters, we simply multiply by 1000, as you mentioned. However, if we want to convert 1 hour to seconds, we need to multiply by 3600, not divide. This is because we are converting from a larger unit (hours) to a smaller unit (seconds), so we need to multiply.

In summary, when converting from km/h to m/s, we need to keep in mind the different units of distance and time and use the appropriate conversion factors (multiplying or dividing) to get the correct answer. With practice, you will become more comfortable with these conversions. I hope this explanation helps clear up any confusion you may have had.

1. How do I convert kilometers per hour to meters per second?

To convert from km/h to m/s, simply multiply the value in km/h by 0.277778. This will give you the equivalent value in m/s.

2. What is the formula for converting km/h to m/s?

The formula for converting km/h to m/s is: m/s = km/h * 0.277778

3. Why do we need to convert between km/h and m/s?

We may need to convert between km/h and m/s in order to compare speeds in different units, or to use a specific unit that is more appropriate for a certain calculation or measurement.

4. Can I use an online converter to convert km/h to m/s?

Yes, there are many online converters available that can quickly and accurately convert between km/h and m/s. However, it is always a good idea to double check the results using the formula or a different converter.

5. How can I remember the conversion factor for km/h to m/s?

A helpful tip for remembering the conversion factor is to think of it as "divide by 3.6". This is because 1 km/h is equal to 1/3.6 m/s. So, to convert from km/h to m/s, we divide by 3.6 or multiply by 0.277778.