1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused with Space Curves

1. Sep 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Match the parametric equations with the graphs.
    In this case, I am stuck on this equation:
    x = cos t
    y = sin t
    z = 1/(1+t^2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have:
    x^2 + y^2 = cos ^2 t + sin ^2 t = 1
    I know this is a circle in the xy-plane, and thus this yields a vertical, circular cylinder. I understand that there will be some form of helix going counter-clockwise around the cylinder. However, I do not understand how exactly to "graph" this using the parameter t. I know what the graph is and looks like, but I can't understand why it looks the way it does. I am having a hard time grasping this section in total.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of an infinitely long, infinitely thin slinky spring whose top is in the plane ##z=1##, centred on the point (0,0,1). As you follow the spring down, in the negative direction of the ##z## axis, the coils get closer and closer to one another so that it approaches but never quite touches the plane ##z=0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted