Confusing Introductory Electricity Question

In summary, in order to find the coordinates of particle 3 such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero, the principle of superposition can be applied. This means that if particle 3 is equally distant from particle 1 and particle 2, the forces from each particle will cancel out. Therefore, the y coordinate of particle 3 must be 0, and the x coordinate can be found using the force equation F = (k*q1*q2)/d^2, where d is the distance between particles 1 and 3. The negative charge of particle 2 means that particle 3 will be to the left of both particles.
jedjj

Homework Statement

In the figure, particle 1 of charge +1.0 µC and particle 2 of charge -2.5 µC, are held at separation L = 7.0 cm on an x axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero, what must be the coordinates of particle 3?
x = ? cm
y = ? cm

the figure is not necessary for the question if you know that particle 2 is to the right of particle 1.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=\frac{kq_1q_2}{d^2}[/tex]
[tex]k=8.99\times10^{9}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Because both particles are on the x axis, to net zero force it must be on the x axis, therefore the y value is 0, and that is correct. I have attempted to use my force equation and found the value as 4.592N(in the negative direction), but that doesn't tell me anything. I also realize that the negative charge is stronger so particle 3 is going to be to the left of the two particles.

Without knowing the charge on particle 3 how can I find this distance?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Principle of super position works

I haven't done a super position problem yet as this course just started a week ago. Can you explain how I would use it here?
EDIT: we covered the idea quickly, but I don't understand how to use it.

EDIT: nevermind. I wasn't looking hard enough through the notes. Sorry!

Last edited:
Basically if particle 3 is equally distant from particle 1 and particle 2, which are in opposite directions of particle the force of the two particles will "cancel out" on particle 3.

It's the same when you did gravity, where the force of gravity on a system of particles follows that same rule.

What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It can also refer to the energy created by this flow.

What is the difference between AC and DC?

AC, or alternating current, is a type of electricity where the direction of the flow of charge periodically reverses. DC, or direct current, is a type of electricity where the charge flows in one direction only.

What is the unit of measurement for electricity?

The unit of measurement for electricity is the ampere (A), which measures the flow of electric charge, and the volt (V), which measures the electric potential difference or voltage.

How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in a variety of ways, including burning fossil fuels, harnessing the power of wind or water, or through nuclear reactions. These methods all involve converting a form of energy into electrical energy.

Why does electricity sometimes cause shocks or sparks?

This is due to the movement of electrons, which carry electric charge. When the flow of electrons is disrupted, for example by touching a live wire, the sudden movement of charge can result in a shock or spark.