Confusion regarding signs in rotational motion

In summary: You introduce ##\omega_z## equal to the starting rotation rate.You introduce ##v_x## equal to zero.You introduce ##v_{x_1}## equal to the rim speed relative to the center of the cylinder.
Eggue
Homework Statement
A solid cylinder with mass M and radius R, rotating with angular speed about an axis through its center, is set on a horizontal surface for which the kinetic friction coefficient is (a) Draw a free-body diagram for the cylinder on the surface. Think carefully about the direction of the kinetic friction force on the cylinder. Calculate the accelerations of the center of mass and of rotation about the center of mass. (b) The cylinder is initially slipping completely, so initially but Rolling without slipping sets in when Calculate the distance the cylinder rolls before slipping stops
Relevant Equations
Kinematic equations
I'm not sure as to why my working is incorrect. When the sign on [itex]a_x[/itex] is postive, i get [itex]t = \frac{R\omega_0}{3\mu_kg}[/itex] which would give the correct value for distance if plugged into the kinematic equation. However, I'm not sure why [itex]a_x[/itex] would be positive though since the friction force is pointing in the direction of -x

Working:
Capture.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
Eggue said:
I'm not sure as to why my working is incorrect. When the sign on [itex]a_x[/itex] is postive, i get [itex]t = \frac{R\omega_0}{3\mu_kg}[/itex] which would give the correct value for distance if plugged into the kinematic equation. However, I'm not sure why [itex]a_x[/itex] would be positive though since the friction force is pointing in the direction of -x
In your hand-drawn solving, you write an equation:$$-d_f=d_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}a_xt^2$$Can you justify that equation? Why the minus sign on ##d_f##?

There is a top secret method of how never get confused with signs. First write equations in vector form then expand them in coordinate frame

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
In your hand-drawn solving, you write an equation:$$-d_f=d_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}a_xt^2$$Can you justify that equation? Why the minus sign on ##d_f##?
Oh that was a mistake that i corrected later, but that shouldn't affect anything right?

Eggue said:
Oh that was a mistake that i corrected later, but that shouldn't affect anything right?
It affects the sign of ##d_f## surely. I thought that was what you were asking about -- the sign on the value for ##d_f##.

jbriggs444 said:
It affects the sign of ##d_f## surely. I thought that was what you were asking about -- the sign on ##d_f##.
No what i meant was the sign on [itex]a_x[/itex] changes the value of t and i do not know why the sign should be positive even though friction is pointing in the -x direction.

Well, let us review how you are calculating t. It seems that we will have to decode some chicken-scratchings.

You start with$$F_k=\mu_kN=-\mu_kmg$$At this point you have inserted a sign into the formula because the relative motion of the ground beneath the cylinder is leftward -- in the direction of negative x. I agree. Because the only force acting is ##F_k##, you invoke Newton's second law (##F=ma##) and assert that$$ma_x=-\mu_kmg$$. A straightforward inference. I agree. You divide out the m to obtain$$a_x=-\mu_kg$$You now shift to angular momentum and assert that equate the rate of change of angular momentum with the applied torque:$$I\alpha_z=F_kR$$Here you are implicitly adopting a sign convention such that ##\alpha_z## is positive counter-clockwise. You proceed to substitute in for the moment of inertia ##I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2## and ##F_k=-\mu_kmg## to obtain$$\frac{1}{2}mR^2\alpha_z=-\mu_kmgR$$You are a bit sloppy with the case on the M versus m, but you cancel it anyway along with one factor of R to obtain$$\frac{1}{2}R\alpha_z=-\mu_kmg$$You proceed to solve for ##\alpha_z## obtaining$$\alpha_z=\frac{-2\mu_kg}{R}$$I agree with this and agree that the sign on the resulting angular acceleration will be negative (i.e. clockwise).

You now do some stuff with variable names, but since you never actually use any of the following variable names, it turns out not to matter.

You introduce ##\omega_z## equal to the starting rotation rate.

You introduce ##v_x## equal to zero.

You introduce ##v_{x_1}## equal to the rim speed relative to the center of the cylinder.

The equation that matters is $$v_0+a_xt =R(\omega_0+\alpha_zt)$$This is supposed to be the rolling without slipping equation. But let us examine it for sign convention agreement. On the left hand side we have the velocity of the cylinder with a sign convention of right = positive. On the right hand side we have the rim speed of the cylinder with a sign convention of counter-clockwise positive. But that does not fit. A positive (rightward) velocity without slipping means a negative (clockwise) roll rate.

There's your sign error.

Likes Lnewqban and Eggue
jbriggs444 said:
Well, let us review how you are calculating t. It seems that we will have to decode some chicken-scratchings.

You start with$$F_k=\mu_kN=-\mu_kmg$$At this point you have inserted a sign into the formula because the relative motion of the ground beneath the cylinder is leftward -- in the direction of negative x. I agree. Because the only force acting is ##F_k##, you invoke Newton's second law (##F=ma##) and assert that$$ma_x=-\mu_kmg$$. A straightforward inference. I agree. You divide out the m to obtain$$a_x=-\mu_kg$$You now shift to angular momentum and assert that equate the rate of change of angular momentum with the applied torque:$$I\alpha_z=F_kR$$Here you are implicitly adopting a sign convention such that ##\alpha_z## is positive counter-clockwise. You proceed to substitute in for the moment of inertia ##I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2## and ##F_k=-\mu_kmg## to obtain$$\frac{1}{2}mR^2\alpha_z=-\mu_kmgR$$You are a bit sloppy with the case on the M versus m, but you cancel it anyway along with one factor of R to obtain$$\frac{1}{2}R\alpha_z=-\mu_kmg$$You proceed to solve for ##\alpha_z## obtaining$$\alpha_z=\frac{-2\mu_kg}{R}$$I agree with this and agree that the sign on the resulting angular acceleration will be negative (i.e. clockwise).

You now do some stuff with variable names, but since you never actually use any of the following variable names, it turns out not to matter.

You introduce ##\omega_z## equal to the starting rotation rate.

You introduce ##v_x## equal to zero.

You introduce ##v_{x_1}## equal to the rim speed relative to the center of the cylinder.

The equation that matters is $$v_0+a_xt =R(\omega_0+\alpha_zt)$$This is supposed to be the rolling without slipping equation. But let us examine it for sign convention agreement. On the left hand side we have the velocity of the cylinder with a sign convention of right = positive. On the right hand side we have the rim speed of the cylinder with a sign convention of counter-clockwise positive. But that does not fit. A positive (rightward) velocity without slipping means a negative (clockwise) roll rate.

There's your sign error.
Ah i understand now. Thank you

Likes Lnewqban

1. What are the different types of rotational motion?

The two main types of rotational motion are uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion. Uniform circular motion is when an object moves at a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when an object's speed or direction changes along a circular path.

2. How do you determine the direction of the angular velocity vector in rotational motion?

The direction of the angular velocity vector in rotational motion is determined by the right hand rule. If you curl your fingers in the direction of the rotation, your thumb will point in the direction of the angular velocity vector.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for an object in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia for an object in rotational motion is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This value represents the object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

5. How does the sign of the moment of inertia affect the direction of the angular acceleration in rotational motion?

The sign of the moment of inertia determines the direction of the angular acceleration in rotational motion. If the moment of inertia is positive, the angular acceleration will be in the same direction as the torque applied. If the moment of inertia is negative, the angular acceleration will be in the opposite direction of the torque applied.