1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conic Parabolas in General Form

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y2 - 8x + 4y + 12 = 0

I need to find the vertex, focus, axis of symmetry, directrix, direction and p.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

No attempt as this is the first one I've encountered in general form. I'm not even looking for an answer, but if someone knows where to find a website or tutorial which helps in solving a conic parabola in this form then it would be very helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are a couple of basic forms.
    (y - k)2 = 4p(x - h)

(x - h)2 = 4p(y - k)

The first form above opens to the left or right, depending on whether p is negative or positive.

The second form opens down or up, depending on whether p is negative or positive.

In both, the vertex of the parabola is at (h, k), the focus is inside the parabola, and |p| units from the vertex, located on the axis of symmetry. The directrix is on the outside of the parabola, and |p| units the other way from the vertex.

For your problem, put the y terms on one side and the x terms on the other, and complete the square in the y terms. It should look like the first form above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook