Conic Parabolas in General Form

The vertex is at (h, k), which you can read off the completed square. The axis of symmetry is parallel to the x axis and goes through the vertex. The focus is p units from the vertex on the axis of symmetry, and the directrix is p units from the vertex on the other side. The value of p is also found by reading off the completed square.In summary, to find the vertex, focus, axis of symmetry, directrix, direction, and p for a conic parabola in the general form, y2 - 8x + 4y + 12 = 0, you need to complete the square in the y terms to get it into the form (y - k)2
chaze

Homework Statement

y2 - 8x + 4y + 12 = 0

I need to find the vertex, focus, axis of symmetry, directrix, direction and p.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt as this is the first one I've encountered in general form. I'm not even looking for an answer, but if someone knows where to find a website or tutorial which helps in solving a conic parabola in this form then it would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
chaze said:

Homework Statement

y2 - 8x + 4y + 12 = 0

I need to find the vertex, focus, axis of symmetry, directrix, direction and p.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt as this is the first one I've encountered in general form. I'm not even looking for an answer, but if someone knows where to find a website or tutorial which helps in solving a conic parabola in this form then it would be very helpful.
There are a couple of basic forms.
(y - k)2 = 4p(x - h)

(x - h)2 = 4p(y - k)

The first form above opens to the left or right, depending on whether p is negative or positive.

The second form opens down or up, depending on whether p is negative or positive.

In both, the vertex of the parabola is at (h, k), the focus is inside the parabola, and |p| units from the vertex, located on the axis of symmetry. The directrix is on the outside of the parabola, and |p| units the other way from the vertex.

For your problem, put the y terms on one side and the x terms on the other, and complete the square in the y terms. It should look like the first form above.

1. What is the general form of a conic parabola?

The general form of a conic parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term.

2. How do you determine the direction of a parabola in general form?

The direction of a parabola in general form can be determined by the sign of the coefficient a. If a is positive, the parabola opens upwards, and if a is negative, the parabola opens downwards.

3. How does the value of a affect the shape of a conic parabola?

The value of a affects the shape of a conic parabola by determining how narrow or wide the parabola is. A larger absolute value of a results in a narrower parabola, while a smaller absolute value of a results in a wider parabola.

4. How many intercepts can a conic parabola in general form have with the x-axis?

A conic parabola in general form can have either 0 or 2 intercepts with the x-axis. If the parabola does not intersect the x-axis, it will have 0 intercepts. If the parabola intersects the x-axis at 2 points, it will have 2 intercepts.

5. Can a conic parabola in general form have a negative x-intercept?

Yes, a conic parabola in general form can have a negative x-intercept. This occurs when the parabola opens downwards and the vertex is located above the x-axis, resulting in a negative x-intercept.