1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conical pendulum problem

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is suspended from a fixed point by a light inextensible string of length a. Investigate 'conical motions' of this pendulum in which a string maintains a constant angle [tex]\theta[/tex]with the downward vertical. Show that , for any acute angle theta
    ex], a conical motion exists and that the particle speed u is given by u^2=a*g*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])*tan([tex]\theta[/tex])

2. Relevant equations

dv/dt= (r''-r([tex]\theta[/tex])^2)r-hat + (r([tex]\theta[/tex])''+2r'([tex]\theta[/tex])')[tex]\theta[/tex]-hat

3. The attempt at a solution

since the motion of the particle goes around in a circle, I know that r''=r'=0; therefore :

dv/dt='-r([tex]\theta[/tex])^2)r-hat + (r([tex]\theta[/tex]'[tex]\theta[/tex]-hat

let \rho be the radius of the cricle; therefore \rho = L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex], L is the length of the string. the pendulum makes a circle in they xy plane. In the z direction, from the circle that lies on the xy plane to the top of the pendulum , k=L*cos(\theta)

I think there are three forces that act on the string: centripetal force, the gravitational force, the force of the inextensible string, and I think air resistance is small , so I can neglect air resistance.

-m*L*([tex]\theta[/tex])''=mg*cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) - T+ mv^2/(L*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
    -m*L*([tex]\theta[/tex])''=mg*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

I not sure if I need to integrate dv/dt to calculate the equation of motion and then square v after I have integrated dv/dt

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Benzoate! :smile:

I'm not really following your equations :confused:

There are two forces … tension, and gravitation … they have to match the acceleration

and the acceleration is purely radial (zero tangential) …

and you need to find T anyway …

try again! :smile:

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    I would used the equation of acceleration in polar for right where:

a=(-r*([tex]\theta[/tex])^2')r-hat+(r*[tex]\theta''[/tex])theta-hat

Would the sum of the gravitational and tension forces be the sum of the centripetal force? If so then may=T*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])-mg=0==> T=mg/cos([tex]\theta[/tex]), and max=T*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])==>ax= mg/cos([tex]\theta[/tex])*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=mg*tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) right?

r=L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(have a theta: θ and a squared: ² :smile:)
    Wow! That's perfect! :smile:

Now (since θ'' = 0 and rθ' = v), just use v²/r instead of rθ'² and you have the answer!

6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    Don't quite understand why [tex]\theta[/tex]'' is zero. Here are my calculations :

mv2/L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=mg*tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) , m cancel out and therefore I am left with: v2=g*tan([tex]\theta[/tex])*L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

7. Sep 29, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(what happened to that θ I gave you?)
    That's right! That's the given answer (with L instead of a). :smile:

(and θ'' = 0 because the string is always radial, and there's never any tangential acceleration :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?