Why is the speed of a particle in a conical pendulum related to the angle theta?

In summary, a particle suspended from a fixed point by a light inextensible string of length a can exhibit conical motion when the string maintains a constant angle with the downward vertical. By considering the forces acting on the string (centripetal force, gravitational force, and the force of the inextensible string), it is possible to derive the equation of motion for the particle. Solving for the speed of the particle, u, yields the equation u^2=a*g*sin(\theta)*tan(\theta). By using the equation of acceleration in polar form and considering the sum of the gravitational and tension forces, it is possible to derive the equation for the speed of the particle. This can be simplified to v^2=g*tan(\
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A particle is suspended from a fixed point by a light inextensible string of length a. Investigate 'conical motions' of this pendulum in which a string maintains a constant angle [tex]\theta[/tex]with the downward vertical. Show that , for any acute angle theta
ex], a conical motion exists and that the particle speed u is given by u^2=a*g*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])*tan([tex]\theta[/tex])

Homework Equations

dv/dt= (r''-r([tex]\theta[/tex])^2)r-hat + (r([tex]\theta[/tex])''+2r'([tex]\theta[/tex])')[tex]\theta[/tex]-hat

The Attempt at a Solution

since the motion of the particle goes around in a circle, I know that r''=r'=0; therefore :

dv/dt='-r([tex]\theta[/tex])^2)r-hat + (r([tex]\theta[/tex]'[tex]\theta[/tex]-hat

let \rho be the radius of the cricle; therefore \rho = L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex], L is the length of the string. the pendulum makes a circle in they xy plane. In the z direction, from the circle that lies on the xy plane to the top of the pendulum , k=L*cos(\theta)

I think there are three forces that act on the string: centripetal force, the gravitational force, the force of the inextensible string, and I think air resistance is small , so I can neglect air resistance.

-m*L*([tex]\theta[/tex])''=mg*cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) - T+ mv^2/(L*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
-m*L*([tex]\theta[/tex])''=mg*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

I not sure if I need to integrate dv/dt to calculate the equation of motion and then square v after I have integrated dv/dt

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:
I think there are three forces that act on the string: centripetal force, the gravitational force, the force of the inextensible string …

-m*L*([tex]\theta[/tex])''=mg*cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) - T+ mv^2/(L*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
-m*L*([tex]\theta[/tex])''=mg*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

I not sure if I need to integrate dv/dt to calculate the equation of motion and then square v after I have integrated dv/dt

Hi Benzoate! :smile:

I'm not really following your equations :confused:

There are two forces … tension, and gravitation … they have to match the acceleration

and the acceleration is purely radial (zero tangential) …

and you need to find T anyway …

try again! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

I'm not really following your equations :confused:

There are two forces … tension, and gravitation … they have to match the acceleration

and the acceleration is purely radial (zero tangential) …

and you need to find T anyway …

try again! :smile:

I would used the equation of acceleration in polar for right where:

a=(-r*([tex]\theta[/tex])^2')r-hat+(r*[tex]\theta''[/tex])theta-hat

Would the sum of the gravitational and tension forces be the sum of the centripetal force? If so then may=T*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])-mg=0==> T=mg/cos([tex]\theta[/tex]), and max=T*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])==>ax= mg/cos([tex]\theta[/tex])*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=mg*tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) right?

r=L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

(have a theta: θ and a squared: ² :smile:)
Benzoate said:
I would used the equation of acceleration in polar for right where:

a=(-r*([tex]\theta[/tex])^2')r-hat+(r*[tex]\theta''[/tex])theta-hat

Would the sum of the gravitational and tension forces be the sum of the centripetal force? If so then may=T*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])-mg=0==> T=mg/cos([tex]\theta[/tex]), and max=T*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])==>ax= mg/cos([tex]\theta[/tex])*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=mg*tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) right?

r=L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

Wow! That's perfect! :smile:

Now (since θ'' = 0 and rθ' = v), just use v²/r instead of rθ'² and you have the answer!

tiny-tim said:

(have a theta: θ and a squared: ² :smile:)

Wow! That's perfect! :smile:

Now (since θ'' = 0 and rθ' = v), just use v²/r instead of rθ'² and you have the answer!

Don't quite understand why [tex]\theta[/tex]'' is zero. Here are my calculations :

mv2/L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=mg*tan([tex]\theta[/tex]) , m cancel out and therefore I am left with: v2=g*tan([tex]\theta[/tex])*L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

(what happened to that θ I gave you?)
v2=g*tan([tex]\theta[/tex])*L*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

That's right! That's the given answer (with L instead of a). :smile:

(and θ'' = 0 because the string is always radial, and there's never any tangential acceleration :wink:)

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum in which the bob or weight is suspended by a string and swings in a circular motion rather than back and forth. It is often used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts of circular motion and centripetal force.

2. How does a conical pendulum work?

A conical pendulum works by the force of gravity pulling the bob towards the center of the circular motion, while the tension in the string keeps the bob from falling. The combination of these forces causes the bob to move in a circular path.

3. What factors affect the motion of a conical pendulum?

The factors that affect the motion of a conical pendulum include the length of the string, the mass of the bob, the angle of the string with respect to the vertical, and the speed at which the bob is released.

4. How is the period of a conical pendulum calculated?

The period of a conical pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s^2.

5. What is the practical application of a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum has practical applications in measuring small changes in the acceleration due to gravity, as well as in gyroscopic devices used in navigation and stabilization systems. It is also used in amusement park rides, such as the swing ride, to create a thrilling circular motion.