Proving A5 has No Normal Subgroups: Conjugacy Classes Approach

• Thread starter Obraz35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation is about proving that A5 has no normal subgroups except itself and {e}. The person is considering using centralizers or finding the conjugacy classes of A5 to prove this, but needs help with the process. Someone suggests looking at the conjugacy classes of elements in S_5 for guidance.
Obraz35

Homework Statement

I am interested in proving that A5 has no normal subgroups except itself and {e}.

The Attempt at a Solution

Some proofs that I have seen use centralizers to do this, but since I haven't gone through that yet I think there should be some say to do it without them.

My approach would be to find the conjugacy classes of A5 and use their orders to show that there cannot be a normal subgroup in A5 since a normal subgroup is a union of conjugate classes.
But my main problem is how I should go about finding the conjugacy classes.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an identical thread to this in this forum. The advice there is: do you know the conjugacy classes of elements in S_5?

1. What is the definition of a conjugacy group?

A conjugacy group is a set of elements in a group that are all conjugate to each other. This means that they can be transformed into each other by a common element, known as a conjugator, within the group.

2. How many elements are in the conjugacy group of A5?

The conjugacy group of A5, also known as the alternating group on 5 elements, has 60 elements.

3. What is the structure of the conjugacy group of A5?

The conjugacy group of A5 has a cyclic structure, meaning that it can be represented by a single generator element.

4. How are elements in the conjugacy group of A5 related to each other?

Elements in the conjugacy group of A5 are related through conjugation, which involves multiplying an element by a conjugator to obtain a conjugate element.

5. What are the applications of studying the conjugacy group of A5?

Studying the conjugacy group of A5 has various applications in mathematics and theoretical physics, such as understanding symmetry in molecular structures and solving certain types of equations.