Connecting to batteries together in a circuit

• Thread starter B4ssHunter
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

what happens when we connect two batteries together in a circuit
on of them is higher than the other
say one of them is 10 and the other is 5
if they are connected such that positives meet , as far as i know a current will flow out of the negative * even though it should flow out of the positive ( conventional current direction )* of the weaker battery with voltage = 5 volt
what if they were connected postivie to negative ?
also , why is the voltage at power sources such as power companies 240 volts while it becomes 220 volts when it reaches homes ? * at my country thats the case *

Answers and Replies

Can you draw a sketch of the circuits?

Connecting different batteries is not a good idea. If you connect them in parallel (independent of the polarities), you get a short circuit, with bad consequences for the batteries (or even the environment, some batteries can explode).

also , why is the voltage at power sources such as power companies 240 volts while it becomes 220 volts when it reaches homes ? * at my country thats the case *
Electric power gets transformed to higher voltages for transmission, this reduces current and therefore losses in the cables. Close to the consumers, it is transformed back to lower voltages - the value there is independent of the value somewhere at power plants.