Connecting to batteries together in a circuit

In summary, connecting two batteries together in a circuit can result in a current flowing out of the negative side of the weaker battery if the positives are connected. If the batteries are connected positive to negative, it can result in a short circuit. The voltage at power sources such as power companies is higher for transmission purposes and is then transformed back to lower voltages closer to consumers.
B4ssHunter
what happens when we connect two batteries together in a circuit
on of them is higher than the other
say one of them is 10 and the other is 5
if they are connected such that positives meet , as far as i know a current will flow out of the negative * even though it should flow out of the positive ( conventional current direction )* of the weaker battery with voltage = 5 volt
what if they were connected postivie to negative ?
also , why is the voltage at power sources such as power companies 240 volts while it becomes 220 volts when it reaches homes ? * at my country that's the case *

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw a sketch of the circuits?

Connecting different batteries is not a good idea. If you connect them in parallel (independent of the polarities), you get a short circuit, with bad consequences for the batteries (or even the environment, some batteries can explode).

also , why is the voltage at power sources such as power companies 240 volts while it becomes 220 volts when it reaches homes ? * at my country that's the case *
Electric power gets transformed to higher voltages for transmission, this reduces current and therefore losses in the cables. Close to the consumers, it is transformed back to lower voltages - the value there is independent of the value somewhere at power plants.

1. How do I connect batteries together in a circuit?

To connect batteries together in a circuit, you will need to use wires and a battery holder. Connect the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other battery using a wire. Then, connect the positive terminal of the second battery to the positive terminal of the battery holder, and the negative terminal of the first battery to the negative terminal of the battery holder.

2. Can I connect different types of batteries together in a circuit?

It is not recommended to connect different types of batteries together in a circuit. This can lead to imbalanced charging and discharging, which can damage the batteries and potentially cause a fire hazard. It is best to use batteries of the same type, brand, and age in a circuit.

3. How many batteries can I connect together in a circuit?

The number of batteries you can connect together in a circuit depends on the voltage and capacity of the batteries. In series, the voltage of the batteries will add up, while in parallel, the capacity will add up. It is important to carefully consider the voltage and capacity requirements of your circuit before connecting multiple batteries together.

4. Can I connect batteries in a circuit without a battery holder?

While it is possible to connect batteries in a circuit without a battery holder, it is not recommended. A battery holder helps to securely hold the batteries in place and prevents them from moving or touching each other, which can cause a short circuit. It is important to use a battery holder to ensure the safety and functionality of your circuit.

5. How do I disconnect batteries from a circuit?

To disconnect batteries from a circuit, simply remove the wires connecting the batteries to the rest of the circuit. Make sure to disconnect the negative terminal first, followed by the positive terminal. This will prevent any potential sparks or short circuits. It is important to handle batteries with caution and avoid touching the terminals with bare hands.