Conservation Of Angular Momentum

In summary, the Earth travels around the sun at a speed of 29821 ms^{-1}. The angular momentum of the Earth is conserved.
BOAS
Hello :)

Homework Statement

The Earth of mass [itex]m_{e}[/itex], moves with an approximately circular orbit of radius [itex] r = 1.5 * 10^{8}km[/itex] around the sun of mass [itex]M_{s} = 2 * 10^{30}kg[/itex].

(a) Determine the numerical value of the speed of the earth.

(done, got an answer of [itex]29821 ms^{-1}[/itex] by equating the gravitational equation with the centripetal force equation)

(b) Is the angular momentum [itex]L[/itex] of the Earth conserved? Why? Show that its module is given by [itex]L = m_{e} \sqrt{GM_{s}r}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand how to show that angular momentum is conserved, one of the older students that help in our workshops gave an 'explanation' but I don't actually follow his argument.

I'll try to explain what I think he said.

[itex]L = I \omega[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dL}{dt} = \tau = f * r[/itex]

[itex]\tau = o[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dL}{dt} = 0[/itex]

∴ Angular momentum is conserved

The step that confuses me somewhat is why [itex]\tau = 0[/itex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a small diagram of the Earth and the sun. Make the force vector with proper direction.
What is the moment of this force about the axis of rotation?

from an experimental perspective, the speed of Earth ought to be its travel distance (2 pi r) divided by travel time (1 year = 31.557 Megasec).
Angular momentum L = r x p = r x mv = r m v sin(theta) = r m |v| ... do any of these values change?

consciousness said:
Make a small diagram of the Earth and the sun. Make the force vector with proper direction.
What is the moment of this force about the axis of rotation?

There isn't one, the force acts towards the axis of rotation.

That makes sense.

lightgrav said:
from an experimental perspective, the speed of Earth ought to be its travel distance (2 pi r) divided by travel time (1 year = 31.557 Megasec).
Angular momentum L = r x p = r x mv = r m v sin(theta) = r m |v| ... do any of these values change?

Assuming I understand your symbols correctly, no.

So, the derivative of a constant is 0, hence angular momentum is conserved.

Thank you.

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. It is a measure of the rotational motion of an object.

What is an example of conservation of angular momentum in action?

An example of conservation of angular momentum is when a spinning ice skater pulls in their arms, causing their moment of inertia to decrease. As a result, their angular velocity increases, keeping their angular momentum constant.

What happens if there are external torques present in a system?

If there are external torques present in a system, the total angular momentum of the system is no longer constant. Instead, it will change in accordance with the net external torque acting on the system.

How is conservation of angular momentum related to Newton's first law of motion?

Conservation of angular momentum is related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. Both laws state that an object will maintain its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force or torque.