1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy and conservation of momentum

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1
    Using both cinservation of energy and conservation of momentum, show that the spring constant k is given by k=2mg/H[1+mg/(m+M)H]

I thought that this would go easier if I rewrote the expression for kinetic energy in terms of momentum, but I cant exactly get around figuring the change in momentum to build an equation. would (m1v1/2) be correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have defintions for your symbols?

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3
    as in initial mass and initial velocity?

5. Mar 12, 2006 #4
    "Initial mass?" :surprised: Perhaps you'd better tell us what the question is.

-Dan

6. Mar 12, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, a mass spring system oscillating at close to the speed of light. I've never done relativistic effects with SHM before...could be interesting...:surprised

7. Mar 12, 2006 #6
    It seems I have taken a wrong approach. I need to show that the spring constant k can be given by 2mg/H[1+mg/(m+M)H] using thr conservation of energy and momentum.

8. Mar 12, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does the question not give you any definitions for the symbols used?

9. Mar 13, 2006 #8
    I worked it out. No matter

10. Mar 13, 2006 #9
    :mad: Then at least have the decency to tell us! You've got ME curious, anyway.

-Dan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?