Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservation of energy and conservation of momentum

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1
    Using both cinservation of energy and conservation of momentum, show that the spring constant k is given by k=2mg/H[1+mg/(m+M)H]

I thought that this would go easier if I rewrote the expression for kinetic energy in terms of momentum, but I cant exactly get around figuring the change in momentum to build an equation. would (m1v1/2) be correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have defintions for your symbols?

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3
    as in initial mass and initial velocity?

5. Mar 12, 2006 #4
    "Initial mass?" :surprised: Perhaps you'd better tell us what the question is.

-Dan

6. Mar 12, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, a mass spring system oscillating at close to the speed of light. I've never done relativistic effects with SHM before...could be interesting...:surprised

7. Mar 12, 2006 #6
    It seems I have taken a wrong approach. I need to show that the spring constant k can be given by 2mg/H[1+mg/(m+M)H] using thr conservation of energy and momentum.

8. Mar 12, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does the question not give you any definitions for the symbols used?

9. Mar 13, 2006 #8
    I worked it out. No matter

10. Mar 13, 2006 #9
    :mad: Then at least have the decency to tell us! You've got ME curious, anyway.

-Dan

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook