1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy and height of projectile

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    A child slides without friction from a height h along a curved water slide (Fig. P5.44). She is launched from a height h/5 into the pool. Determine her maximum airborne height y in terms of h and . (Use q for and h as appropriate.)
    [​IMG]
    I understand that you use conservation of energy to solve the problem, but for some reason my brain is dead to physics today. O-chem/Calc 1/Bio I can handle but for some reason these word problems are really tripping me up.

Here's what I have so far.

W(nc) =(KEf + PEf) - (KEi + PEi)
    0 = 1/2mv^2 + mg(h/5) - (0 + mgh) (For the end of the slide to find velocity when she leaves slide)
    ymax = vo^2sin^2(q) /(2 g)

Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2
    yes it is looking good, except i think you have some typo's in the last equation line, but i know what you mean.

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    I ended up with ymax = (-h/5 + h)*(sin(q))^2 and its registering as incorrect. Notice any errors?

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    how did you get (-h/5 + h)? I'm not getting that from using the energy equation solving for v.

6. Jan 8, 2009 #5
    u've got it wrong- it's conservative since it's frictionless

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?