Conservation of Energy Ice Cube Problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the speed of an ice cube as it slides in a vertical plane around the inside of a horizontal pipe. The ice cube's speed at the bottom of the circle is given and the goal is to find its speed at the top and at any angle theta. By using the equations for conservation of mechanical energy and applying basic trigonometry, the height of the pipe can be expressed as r(1-cos theta). Substituting this into the equations leads to the final solution for the ice cube's speed at any angle.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A very slippery ice cube slides in a vertical plane around the inside of a smooth, 20 cm diameter horizontal pipe. The ice cube's speed at the bottom of the circle is 3 m/s.

a) What is the ice cube's speed at the top?

b) Find an algebraic expression for the ice cube's speed when it is at angle theta where the angle is measured counterclockwise from the bottom of the circle. Your expression should give 3 m/s for 0 degrees and your answer to part a for 180 degrees.

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2mv^2
PE=mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I got part a

(.5)*m*(3m/s)^2=m(9.80)(.2m)+(.5)*m*(vf)^2
vf= 2.25 m/s

But I am really not sure of how to approach part b. I thought about the equations for rotational kinematics, but the acceleration is not constant. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are applying the same principle as before-- conservation of mechanical energy. In part (a) you specifically set the height of the top to be the diameter of the pipe. But now, you need to generalize what you did before to express the height of the pipe as a function of the angle.

To solve this problem you should sketch a picture of the cross-section of the pipe (it should be a circle), label the bottom and top, as well as a random point and clearly label the angle as measured from the bottom.

Once you have constructed that picture you can then use simple trig to find the height in terms of the radius of the pipe and the angle.

I could show you more, but instead of showing you the solution, I would like to see if you can solve it from that advise, I bet you can, good luck.

Ok, I got it. The height = r(1-cos theta)

So

r(1-cos theta)mg +.5*m*(v1)^2 = .5*m*(vo)^2

Solve for v1

v1= sqrt[(vo)^2+2rg(costheta-1)]

where v1 is the velocity at any position, vo is the velocity at the bottom, and r is the radius of the pipe

Thank you very much!

Awesome! I'm glad you solved it!

sorry this maybe a dumb question but how did you get the height
as r(1-cos theta) ?

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. What is the "Ice Cube Problem" in relation to conservation of energy?

The "Ice Cube Problem" is a thought experiment used to demonstrate the principle of conservation of energy. It involves placing an ice cube in a glass of water and observing how the ice cube melts and the water temperature changes.

3. How does the "Ice Cube Problem" demonstrate conservation of energy?

The melting of the ice cube requires energy, which is obtained from the surrounding water. As the ice cube melts, it absorbs heat energy from the water, causing the temperature of the water to decrease. This demonstrates the conservation of energy, as the total amount of energy in the system (ice cube and water) remains constant, but is transformed from potential energy (ice) to kinetic energy (water temperature).

4. Are there any other factors that affect the "Ice Cube Problem"?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the "Ice Cube Problem" such as the initial temperature of the water, the size and shape of the ice cube, and the environment in which the experiment takes place. These factors can alter the rate at which the ice cube melts and the amount of energy exchanged between the ice and water.

5. How does the "Ice Cube Problem" relate to real-world applications?

The "Ice Cube Problem" is a simplified version of real-world scenarios where energy is conserved. For example, it can be applied to understanding the melting of glaciers due to climate change or the cooling of a drink in a refrigerator. It also highlights the importance of energy conservation in our daily lives and the impact of energy transfer on our environment.