Conservation of Energy - not expected result

In summary, the conversation was about solving a physics problem involving a car approaching a hill and flying off the top. The person trying to solve the problem had attempted it multiple times but could not get the correct answer. They asked for help and received guidance on how to approach the problem using energy conservation. Eventually, they discovered that an email had been sent out with the correct answer that they had not received. The conversation ended with reassurance that it was a small problem and not to worry.
unr_
I've been working over this relatively simple problem for quite a while, and I still cannot get the answer that I'm looking for.

Here is the problem:
A car of mass M traveling at speed V approaches a hill of height H. At the bottom of the hill the engine of the car is turned off.

Show that if V > SQRT(g(1+(2H/R)) the car would come off the hill at the top of the hill. R is the radius of curvature of the road at the top of the hill.

I have worked through this quite a few times, but I cannot get that answer.

Here's what I've done.
K_i = 1/2*mv^2
U_i = 0
U_f = mgH

To find K_f, I set g equal to the radial acceleration: g = v^2/R. Then, solving for that v, I get v = SQRT(gR).

So now my K_f is K_f = 1/2*mv^2 = 1/2*mgR.

Using the conservation of energy equation, I get:
1/2*mv^2 = 1/2*mgR + mgH.

After solving for V, I get V = SQRT(g(R + 2H)) which is not equal to the answer I am looking for.

If someone could please find where I've been doing something wrong or making a bad assumption, that would be awesome. A little guidance would be very helpful right now.

Thanks a lot,
J

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. Apparently an email was sent out correcting the answer in the worksheet that never made its way to my inbox.

Sorry J, I was really late because I was really busy, I hope I wouldn't have stood you up! :redface: I will be in time next time on, Okay ?

You were right about the incorrectness of your first post's answer but the way you reasoned to find out the result, as what you posted in the first one, wasn't quite correct either, and I think if you hand that into your professor, he/she wouldn't give you a good grade.
One possible way I think to solve this problem is to start from energy conservation, just like what you have done. At the foothill, K=1/2MV^2. At the top of the hill, K_f=1/2Mv^2+MgH. Because of the EC you have K=K_f, but since the problem stated that the car flew off the hill, K must always be larger than K_f. Now that the car is drawing a curve when flying, you then also have g=v^2/R or v^2=gR. These means 1/2MV^2 > MgR/2 + MgH,...

The main point I think here is that you are not asked to go compute velos, or accels, (although you must write them down to substitute into other formula to get the desired results), so don't try to go deep into those or you will get 'hurt': the more you put them down, the more chances of being checked by your professors you would get, and of course you would have higher probabilities of making mistakes for computations. This is a small problem anyway, daijobu da to omoimasu. :wink:

Last edited:

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

How does conservation of energy work?

Conservation of energy works by ensuring that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that any changes in energy within the system must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in another form of energy.

What are some examples of conservation of energy in real life?

Some examples of conservation of energy in real life include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a ball bouncing on the ground, and a roller coaster moving along its tracks. In each of these cases, energy is transferred or converted, but the total amount of energy remains the same.

Why might an expected result not occur in a conservation of energy experiment?

An expected result may not occur in a conservation of energy experiment due to factors such as friction, air resistance, or energy being lost as heat. These external forces can cause a change in the energy balance within the system, leading to a different outcome than predicted.

How does conservation of energy relate to the concept of efficiency?

Conservation of energy is closely related to efficiency, as it is a measure of how much energy is actually used for a specific purpose compared to the total energy input. In order to maximize efficiency, it is important to minimize any energy losses in a system and ensure that energy is being used effectively.