Conservation of energy of a sliding block

In summary, the appropriate equation for determining the height at which the block will leave the surface of the hemisphere is net normal force = mg costheta - mv2/r, where theta is the angle with respect to the vertical and r is the radius extending to the contact point of the mass with the sphere. This takes into account the varying normal force and the centripetal force needed to keep the block in circular motion as it slides down the hemisphere.
anap40

Homework Statement

A small block starts at rest on top of a frictionless hemisphere (like an igloo) of radius 1.7m. Then the block slides down from the top. At what height above the ground (in m) is the block moving fast enough that it leaves the surface of the hemisphere?

Homework Equations

mv^2/r = a

mgh = PE

.5mv^2 = KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the thing will leave the surface when the centripetal force is greater that the force of gravity, because the force of gravity is the only force supplying the centripetal force. So,
(mv^2)/r > mg

so v>sqrt(rg)

The velocity after falling a height h is
v=sqrt(2gh)

sqrt(2gh)>sqrt(rg)

2gh>rg
2h>r
h>r/2

so it would have to fall 1.7/2 = .85m

.85m is not the correct answer.

The only other thing I can think of is that the force supplied by gravtiy varies based on the angle that the normal force between the object and the cube changes.

Physics news on Phys.org
anap40 said:

Homework Statement

A small block starts at rest on top of a frictionless hemisphere (like an igloo) of radius 1.7m. Then the block slides down from the top. At what height above the ground (in m) is the block moving fast enough that it leaves the surface of the hemisphere?

Homework Equations

mv^2/r = a

mgh = PE

.5mv^2 = KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the thing will leave the surface when the centripetal force is greater that the force of gravity, because the force of gravity is the only force supplying the centripetal force. So,
(mv^2)/r > mg

so v>sqrt(rg)

The velocity after falling a height h is
v=sqrt(2gh)

sqrt(2gh)>sqrt(rg)

2gh>rg
2h>r
h>r/2

so it would have to fall 1.7/2 = .85m

.85m is not the correct answer.

The only other thing I can think of is that the force supplied by gravtiy varies based on the angle that the normal force between the object and the cube changes.
the centripetal force is provided by the algebraic net sum of the component of the block's weight in the radial direction and the normal force in that direction between the block and the curved surface. When the normal force is 0, there is no longer enough of a radial gravitational component to keep the object moving in a circle. You have neglected that component (gsintheta) in your calculations.

Thanks for the reply.

Is this diagram correct?
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/475/33347115yw1.png

So the equation should be centripetal force + normal force = cos(theta)mg?

Last edited by a moderator:
The appropriate equation would be net normal force = mg cos[itex]theta[/itex] - mv2/r, where [itex]theta[/itex] is the angle with respect to the vertical and the radius extending to the contact point of the mass with the sphere. The diagram is more or less correct.

OK, thanks. The equation you gave is just a rearrangement of mine, but I think that I was using the angle between the ground and the radius extending out to the contact point of the mass. If i did it that way I guess I would just have to use sin.

I got the correct answer now, thank you.

anap40 said:
OK, thanks. The equation you gave is just a rearrangement of mine, but I think that I was using the angle between the ground and the radius extending out to the contact point of the mass. If i did it that way I guess I would just have to use sin.

I got the correct answer now, thank you.
Yes, if one uses the angle with respect to horizontal, then one would use sin rather than cos.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

How does conservation of energy apply to a sliding block?

In the case of a sliding block, the total energy of the system (kinetic energy and potential energy) remains constant as the block moves. This means that the initial energy of the block will be equal to the final energy at any point during its movement.

What factors affect the conservation of energy in a sliding block?

The conservation of energy in a sliding block is affected by the mass of the block, its initial velocity, the height of the surface it is sliding on, and any external forces acting on the block such as friction or air resistance.

What happens if friction is present in a sliding block scenario?

In the presence of friction, some of the kinetic energy of the sliding block will be converted into heat, sound, and other forms of energy. This means that the total amount of energy in the system will decrease, but the principle of conservation of energy still holds true.

Why is conservation of energy important in understanding the behavior of a sliding block?

Understanding the conservation of energy in a sliding block scenario allows us to predict the motion and behavior of the block, and to calculate its final position, velocity, and energy at any point during its movement. It also helps us to design more efficient and sustainable systems by minimizing energy loss through factors like friction.