Conservation of energy of an ice flake

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of a 1.90 g ice flake released from the edge of a hemispherical bowl with a radius of 28.0 cm. The contact between the flake and bowl is frictionless. Using the equations for kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy, the velocity is calculated to be the square root of (2*g*r). After converting the radius from cm to m, the final answer is 2.344 m/s.
lauriecherie

Homework Statement

A 1.90 g ice flake is released from the ege of a hemispherical bwon whose radius r is 28.0 cm. The flake bowl contact is frictionless. What is the speed of the flake when it reaches the bottom of the bowl.

Homework Equations

I took KINETIC ENERGY = GRAVITATIONAL POTENTION ENERGY. since KINETIC ENERGY = .5*M*V^2, and GRAVITATIONAL POTENTIAL ENERGY = MGH, i canclled the masses and solved for V. That gave me VELOCITY = SQUARE ROOT OF (2*G*R).

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 23.44 for my answer but after looking over my calculations I noticed that the radius is given in cm. Need I convert it to meters? If I do my answer comes out as 2.344 m/s. Is this correct now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. It is correct.

I would like to clarify that the conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of the ice flake, it starts with potential energy due to its position at the edge of the bowl and as it falls, this energy is converted into kinetic energy. Therefore, the total energy (potential + kinetic) remains constant.

To answer the question, we can use the conservation of energy equation: Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy. In this case, the potential energy is due to the gravitational force, which can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the ice flake, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the flake is released (in this case, the radius of the bowl).

Therefore, the potential energy at the edge of the bowl is PE = (1.90 g)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.28 m) = 5.2928 x 10^-2 J. This energy is then converted into kinetic energy at the bottom of the bowl, which can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the ice flake and v is its velocity at the bottom of the bowl.

Setting the two energies equal to each other, we get:

PE = KE
5.2928 x 10^-2 J = 1/2 (1.90 g) v^2
v = √(2(5.2928 x 10^-2 J)/(1.90 g))
v = 2.344 m/s

Therefore, the speed of the ice flake when it reaches the bottom of the bowl is 2.344 m/s. It is important to note that the units for all the values should be consistent, so converting the radius to meters is necessary in order to get the correct answer. This is because the units must cancel out in order to get the correct unit for velocity (m/s).

In conclusion, the conservation of energy principle can be used to determine the speed of the ice flake at the bottom of the bowl by equating the potential energy at the edge of the bowl with the kinetic energy at the bottom of the bowl. The resulting velocity is 2.344 m/s, which is indeed the correct answer.

1. What is the meaning of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does this apply to an ice flake?

An ice flake is a closed system, meaning that no energy is entering or leaving the system. Therefore, the total amount of energy within the ice flake remains constant, even as it undergoes changes such as melting or freezing.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in an ice flake?

The main factors that affect the conservation of energy in an ice flake include temperature, pressure, and the surrounding environment. Changes in these factors can cause the ice flake to gain or lose energy, but the total amount of energy within the system will remain the same.

4. How does the conservation of energy impact the life cycle of an ice flake?

The conservation of energy plays a crucial role in the life cycle of an ice flake. As the ice flake melts, it absorbs energy from its surroundings, which helps to slow down the melting process. Similarly, when an ice flake freezes, it releases energy into its surroundings, which helps to speed up the freezing process.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding conservation of energy in ice flakes?

Understanding the conservation of energy in ice flakes has practical applications in various fields, such as meteorology, climate science, and geology. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of ice in our environment and to make predictions about how it will respond to changes in temperature and pressure.