Does Compressing a Spring Affect Its Energy Release in Acid?

In summary: Thanks, I edited original post. But no point in stating trivial things. Don't be so bureaucratic.In summary, the compressed spring has more energy than the uncompressed spring before it is put in the acid.
PhDorBust
I have two springs. I compress one (it stays compressed) and throw it in acid and measure the energy that comes off, I do the same for the other spring but leave it uncompressed. Which gives off more energy and why?

The answer is obvious but I don't see how the acid eating the springs would notice if they're compressed or not. Moreover, acid eating is a little mysterious to me. Ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhDorBust said:
I have two springs. I compress one (it stays compressed) and throw it in acid and measure the energy that comes off, I do the same for the other spring but leave it uncompressed.

The answer is obvious but I don't see how the acid eating the springs would notice if they're compressed or not. Moreover, acid eating is a little mysterious to me. Ideas?

If the answer is obvious you should not have to post! If the answer is obvious, you should be able to state it.

By the way, what was the question?

Um. The reasoning behind an answer is more important than the answer itself..

PhDorBust said:
Um. The reasoning behind an answer is more important than the answer itself..

No doubt. So, do you have any thoughts along those lines regarding the two springs?

Read original post. You're contributing nothing here.

PhDorBust said:
Read original post. You're contributing nothing here.

Sorry, but you've stated that the answer is obvious yet you haven't stated it! Nor have you provided any of your own efforts towards answering it; no relevant equations, and not even any sort of argument about it one way or the other.

We cannot provide help in this forum without first having seen some effort from the querent. Those are the rules. Perhaps a better place to ask an open question that isn't homework would be in one of the general physics forums?

gneill said:
Sorry, but you've stated that the answer is obvious yet you haven't stated it! Nor have you provided any of your own efforts towards answering it; no relevant equations, and not even any sort of argument about it one way or the other.

We cannot provide help in this forum without first having seen some effort from the querent. Those are the rules. Perhaps a better place to ask an open question that isn't homework would be in one of the general physics forums?

Thanks, I edited original post. But no point in stating trivial things. Don't be so bureaucratic.

Ok, let's begin with a simple question. Does the compressed spring possesses more energy then the uncompressed spring before being put in the acid?
What happens to that energy when in the acid?

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs the behavior of energy in all physical systems. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems, and allows us to make more efficient use of energy resources.

3. How is energy conserved in everyday life?

In everyday life, energy is conserved through various processes such as friction, heat transfer, and mechanical work. For example, when a ball rolls down a hill, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and some of that energy is lost due to friction with the ground.

4. What are some examples of energy transformation?

Energy transformation occurs in many different forms, such as chemical energy being converted to electrical energy in a battery, or mechanical energy being converted to heat energy when rubbing your hands together. Other examples include nuclear energy being converted to heat and light in a nuclear power plant, and solar energy being converted to electricity through solar panels.

5. Can energy be completely conserved?

In theory, energy can be completely conserved if there is no energy loss or transfer. However, in reality, some energy is always lost through processes such as friction, heat transfer, and sound production. These losses are often unavoidable, but by using more efficient systems and technologies, we can reduce the amount of energy wasted.