Finding Distance D Using Conservation of Energy

In summary, a block of mass 5kg is released from rest and slides down a distance D down a smooth plane inclined at 30◦ to the horizontal. It then strikes a spring compressing it 10cm before it begins to move up the plane. If the spring constant is 980 N/m and g=9.8m/s², find D. The block gains energy as it slides down the plane and this additional energy causes the total distance to be greater than D.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

A block of mass 5kg is released from rest and slides down a distance D down a smooth plane inclined at 30◦ to the horizontal. It then strikes a spring compressing it 10cm before it begins to move up the plane. If the spring constant is 980 N/m and g=9.8m/s², find D. Solve Using the Principle of Conservation of Energy.

Homework Equations

mgh=1/2kx²

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diaghram of the problem and found the resultant forces on the block.

Kinetic energy of the block= potential at the bottom of the spring.

mgh=1/2kx²

m=5 Kg, g=9.8 m/s² , h= Dsin30 (pythagoras theorem) , k= 980 N/m , x= 0.1m

subbing into the formula

(5)(9.8)(Dsin30)=1/2(980)(0.1)
D=0.2 m

is this the correct solution? it's an assignment so I'd like the method to be correct. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, but. You have neglected that the block gains additional energy as it compresses the spring, because it goes lower.

how do i show this in mathematics and is D right or wrong due to this additional energy?

Your basic equation ## mgh = \dfrac 1 2 k x^2 ## is correct. ## h ## should be the height from the top position of the block to the very lowest position, where the spring is fully compressed.

the height from the top position of the block to the very lowest position is Dsin30, no? Since d=h/sin(theta)

No, because the very lowest position is where the spring is fully compressed.

is h= (D+0.1)sin30?

then if h is indeed =(D+0.1)sin30 , D= 0.15 m

Correct.

Likes 1 person
Apparently the answer was 0.2?? Where did I go wrong?

You found previously D = 0.2 m. But now you know that instead of D, you should have used (D + 0.1 m), so D = 0.1 m.

I do not know why you think the answer should be 0.2 m.

i did use h=(D+0.1)sin30 as you said it was correct and got 0.15 m to be the answer. I did not get 0.1 m.

I thought 0.2 m due to a colleague in the class got this answer and he is better than me at applied maths and he did it a different way to me.

49(D + 0.1)sin30 = (1/2)980*.1^2
49Dsin30 + 2.45 = 4.9
49Dsin30 = 2.45
49D = 4.9
D = .1 m

As Voko said, you find 0.2 when you don't account for the compression of the spring which contributes to the total distance. Your colleague is wrong =P.

mgh=1/2kx²

(5)(9.8)(D+0.1)sin30 = (1/2)(980)(0.1)²
Dsin30 + 0.1sin30 = (1/2)(980)(0.1)²/(5)(9.8)
Dsin30 = (1/2)(980)(0.1)²/(5)(9.8) - 0.1sin30
..oh I see. I didn't divide - 0.1sin30 by sin30 :(

schoolboy error. Guys thanks for the help.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental principle of physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of energy in various systems. It also plays a crucial role in sustainability and minimizing our impact on the environment.

3. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of energy can be observed in our everyday lives in many ways. For example, when we turn on a light bulb, electrical energy is transformed into light energy. When we throw a ball, our muscular energy is transferred into kinetic energy. Even the food we eat is converted into energy that our bodies can use.

4. Can the law of conservation of energy be violated?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that has been extensively tested and proven to be true. While energy can be transformed and transferred, it cannot be created or destroyed. If there appears to be a violation of this law, it is likely due to incomplete understanding or measurement errors.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy relate to other laws of physics?

The law of conservation of energy is closely related to other laws of physics, such as the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the transfer and transformation of energy. It is also connected to the law of conservation of mass, as energy and mass are considered to be equivalent and can be converted into one another. Additionally, the law of conservation of momentum is related to the conservation of energy, as both involve the transfer of energy from one system to another.