Conservation of linear or angular momentum + center of mass.

In summary, after a projectile and thin rod collide, the projectile's linear momentum is not conserved because it is being held down by the pin. Angular momentum is conserved however because there is no external torque.
Mola
So I have been reading about conservation of linear momentum and conservation of angular momentum of a rotating object. For example a thin rod resting horizontally on the a flat surface. If this rod is being hit by a small object(collision), the rod will rotate about it's center of mass and will have both translational and rotational motion and therefore both linear and angular momentum are conserved.

But how about if this rod is now pinned at it's center(still resting on the flat horizontal surface), if the small mass comes to collide again, I think angular momentum is still conserved but linear momentum is NOT conserved because the rod cannot have translational motion.

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right

The explanation (if you were looking for one) is that the pin applies force on the rod, so linear momentum isn't conserved.

That's true.
The pinning will transfer some momentum to the surface. So total linear momentum and total angular momentum are always conserved, but that doesn't have to be true for individual components. You always have to include all components that forces are acted on.

What do you mean by total linear and angular momentum? Would that be like momentum "before" and "after" say in a collision? So if we consider this as a collision between a small object and the resting rod(pinned at center). I will say total linear momentum of the collision is NOT conserved because the rod cannot have any translational motion. But the total angular momentum of the collision IS conserved because the the rod is free to rotate freely about it's center of mass.

For conservation laws (which are never violated) you have to include all components such as the surface where the rod is attached. The rod considered alone of course does not conserve linear momentum (this linear momentun is not zero however because the rod does in fact have a time varying translational motion). The linear momentum will instead transfer to the the surface on which the rod is attached.

So I did more reading and this is what I am understanding:

In a closed system(system upon which no external forces act), both linear and angular momentum are conserved.

So if we say this is a collision between a "resting thin rod(pinned at it's center)" and a "small object" on a frictionless horizontal surface. Both angular and linear momentum are NOT conserved because we have an external force from the pin.

In the case where the thin rod is resting on the same horizontal frictionless surface and NOT pinned down, then since there is no external force on this close system, both angular and linear momentum will be conserved.

I am not sure what your statement is. Maybe you should reread the answers here and think what they more. Or maybe formulate which issue you want to understand.

Mola said:
In a closed system(system upon which no external forces act), both linear and angular momentum are conserved. So if we say this is a collision between a "resting thin rod(pinned at it's center)" and a "small object" on a frictionless horizontal surface. Both angular and linear momentum are NOT conserved because we have an external force from the pin.
The issue here is what is considered as part of the closed system. If whatever the pin is attached to, for example, the earth, is considered as part of the closed system, then earth, pin, rod, and small object are all part of a closed system, and both linear and angular momentum are conserved.

Well maybe I should design a question to explain what my statement means.

Let's say a projectile(mass Mp, initial velocity Vpi, final velocity Vpf) collides with a thin rod(mass Mr, length L, initial velocity is zero, Inertial mass I, angular speed W). The rod is pinned at it's center on a horizontal frictionless surface. Let "X" be the distance between where the projectile hit the rod and the center of the rod. Let's say after the collision, the 2 objects do NOT stick. and the

In my opinion, linear momentum is not conserved in this system because of the external force from the pin. But we can say angular momentum is conserved because there is no external torque; therefore conservation of angular momentum equation stands:

Li = Lf : Mp*Vpi*X + 0 = Mp*Vpf*X + I*w

How does that look?

1. What is conservation of linear momentum?

Conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a system where there is no net external force, the total momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the event or interaction.

2. How does conservation of angular momentum work?

Conservation of angular momentum is another fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external torque. Angular momentum can be thought of as the rotational equivalent of linear momentum, and this law means that in a system where there is no net external torque, the total angular momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total angular momentum after the event or interaction.

3. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in a system or object where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. This point can be thought of as the average position of all the mass in the system, and is often used to simplify calculations involving the motion of an object or system. In a system where there are no external forces, the center of mass will remain at a constant velocity and will follow the laws of conservation of linear and angular momentum.

4. How does conservation of linear momentum apply to collisions?

In collisions, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the sum of the momenta of all the objects involved in the collision will remain constant, even if the objects bounce off each other or stick together.

5. How is the center of mass related to conservation of angular momentum?

The center of mass is an important concept in understanding conservation of angular momentum. In a system where there are no external torques, the center of mass will remain at a constant velocity and will follow the laws of conservation of angular momentum. This is because the location of the center of mass determines the distance from the axis of rotation, and therefore affects the amount of angular momentum in the system.