Conservation of momentum and baseball throw

In summary: What is the answer as to why the player does NOT move backwards?The answer is the external force in the x direction is stopping the person from moving backwards.
bkl4life
While standing still on the baseball field, you throw the ball to a teammate. Why do you not move backward as a result? Is the law of conservation of momentum violated?

Physics news on Phys.org
bkl4life said:
While standing still on the baseball field, you throw the ball to a teammate. Why do you not move backward as a result? Is the law of conservation of momentum violated?
Look up the description of conservation of momentum. Is it always conserved?

Maybe I am making this harder than it really is.

I know the of conservation of momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an outside force. The reason I am not moving backwards is because my arm is moving forward?

bkl4life said:
Maybe I am making this harder than it really is.

I know the of conservation of momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an outside force. The reason I am not moving backwards is because my arm is moving forward?
NO. Any forces acting on the player and ball while they are in contact with each other are internal to the man-baseball system (Newton 3). What is the external force? HINT: What would happen if the thrower was standing on ice?

The normal force pushing up on the player is equal to the force the player is exerting on the ground. This is why the player does not move backwards?

If the thrower were standing on ice and threw the ball he would slide because there would be friction between the player and the ice.

bkl4life said:
The normal force pushing up on the player is equal to the force the player is exerting on the ground.
Yes, that's true, but it is an outside external force, acting up, but the man doesn't move down , because another external force , gravity, balances it. But let's concentrare on the horizontal x direction.
This is why the player does not move backwards?
NO.
If the thrower were standing on ice and threw the ball he would slide because there would be friction between the player and the ice.
No, there would ideally be no friction or little friction between the player and ice, that is, no external force in the x direction, and he would move backwards due to conservation of momentum. So what's the answer as to why the player does NOT move backwards?

Do you have to add the mass of the whole system (ball and player)? The mass of the ball will not be great enough to make a an impact of moving the person. The external force in the x direction is stopping the person from moving backwards.

1. What is conservation of momentum and how does it relate to a baseball throw?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In a baseball throw, this means that the momentum of the ball before the throw must be equal to the momentum of the ball after the throw, taking into account any external forces acting on the ball.

2. How is the conservation of momentum demonstrated in a baseball throw?

The conservation of momentum can be seen in a baseball throw by observing the motion of the ball. When a pitcher throws a ball, they apply a force to the ball, causing it to accelerate and gain momentum. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance and gravity, which cause it to slow down. However, the momentum of the ball is still conserved, as the decrease in velocity is balanced by an increase in mass due to the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in a baseball throw?

The conservation of momentum in a baseball throw is affected by the mass and velocity of the ball, as well as any external forces acting on the ball, such as air resistance and gravity. The angle and trajectory of the throw can also impact the conservation of momentum, as they can affect the direction and magnitude of the external forces acting on the ball.

4. How does the conservation of momentum impact the distance and speed of a baseball throw?

The conservation of momentum does not directly impact the distance and speed of a baseball throw. These factors are primarily determined by the initial velocity and angle of the throw, as well as external forces like air resistance. However, the conservation of momentum plays a role in maintaining the overall motion of the ball and ensuring it follows a predictable path.

5. Why is understanding conservation of momentum important in baseball?

Understanding conservation of momentum is crucial in baseball because it helps us predict and explain the motion of the ball during a throw. This knowledge can be applied to improve pitching techniques and optimize the trajectory of the ball, which can lead to more accurate and powerful throws. Additionally, understanding conservation of momentum allows us to understand the physics behind the game and appreciate the skill and strategy involved in every play.